Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Make Do Recipes - Chocolate Chip Muffins

"Dry Ingredients"
1 cup white flour (I store my flour in the fridge)
1 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp (or a few shakes) of salt
2/3 cup sugar
Mix these together in a large bowl.

"Wet Ingredients"
In a separate bowl (or cooking pot, if you don't have an extra bowl handy!)
whip up 2 eggs (mix very well with a fork)
then add:
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or imitation) (or pour a little in if you don't like to measure)
1/2 cup baby food applesauce (very creamy consistency. I used two jars of this because we happened to have some on my shelf and no one was eating it) I was supposed to use butter for this but didn't have enough and didn't want to use vegetable oil (shudder).
2/3 cup Rice Milk (I am out of regular milk)

Mix well.

Pour the "Wet ingredients" into the bowl of "Dry ingredients." Stir together until well blended. However, do not over-mix muffin batter or it will make the final product dry and coarse.

When this is mixed well enough, add 3/4 a bag of Hershey's chocolate chips (from a 12 oz bag). I like to save the rest to snack on later, rather than wasting them all in the muffins.

I use a little vegetable oil to "grease" the muffin pan.
Bake in a Pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for about 23 minutes. (Until browned).

When finished, use a butter knife to remove each muffin carefully. Then place on a cooling rack.

Grab a little butter on a baggie and "butter" tops of each muffin. This will keep them soft.

I leave these on the counter for awhile and the children help themselves.

Blessings
Mrs. White

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails