Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Nana in Alabama

My Father's mother lived in rural Alabama. We called her "Nana in Alabama" because we lived with our Mother's mother, who was our resident Nana (in Massachusetts). I loved them both dearly.

Nana in the old south was a legend in my eyes. She was the sweetest, gentlest lady in the world. We visited her once a year for a few weeks at a time. I heard all kinds of stories about her. She was married to a preacher and had seven children. Only two lived to be adults - my father, and his brother, my Uncle Bobby who was a precious preacher. His sermons tore me up and made me weep every time.

Nana had a lot of trials in her life. A lot of heartbreak. Her Mother died when she was a young teenager. She dropped out of school and took care of her older brothers and father. She kept house for them. When her father died shortly thereafter, she married my Grandpa. He was an incredible man. He was dedicated to the Lord and to his family. They struggled financially but were always taken care of. When their youngest son (my father) was 16 years old, Grandpa (his dad) died. That boy was so heartbroken. So devastated.... he went on to support and take care of his mother. He worked and provided for her while she kept house, working hard at home.

You know, Nana had a special hymn that she loved to sing. It was called "Father Along" (it is on my play list at the bottom of this page). It talked about being Tempted and Tried, and how we'll understand it all by and by. And we are to "cheer up our brother" and "live in the sunshine."

When I was a young teenager, my father taught me that song. I had never heard it anywhere, except by his singing it to me. I learned all the words and have sung it myself all these years. I always think of her and her struggles in life and her amazing faith in the Lord. And I cry............

Blessings
Mrs. White

4 comments:

Sandra said...

We sang that song recently at a babies funeral who had died of SIDS. It was perfect. No matter what hand we are dealt in life, we must live in the sonshine and let God's son shine through us no matter what.

Mrs. White said...

This is an excellent comment Sandra. Thank you.
Blessings
Mrs. White

Tricia said...

Oh yes, my grandmother would play this on her old record player. How fun. I'd totally forgotten about it.

Mrs. White said...

Wow Tricia, on her record player? What an amazing memory! how precious!
Blessings
Mrs. White

Related Posts with Thumbnails