Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Work at Home

Jersey City Family Working at Home to Assemble Lamp Shades for the Idealite Company






Okay, I am beginning to really understand why people want to work at home. I have done it myself and I realize that since the economy is such a mess, it might be a good idea to bring in a little extra money. I found a wonderful article over at Crown Financial Ministry. Here is the link:

Making Money From Home

I have some older teens who need to be productive. I will have to think of some ideas for them to earn a little income here at home. Here are some of the things I used to do to earn money at home:

1. Sew dresses for girls.

2. Sew Aprons.

3. Sold books.

4. Sold baked goods (I don't want to do this anymore. Why? Because we used to own a store and I had an easy outlet for this. I stopped because I liked eating the snacks more than selling them.)

5. Sold toys and gifts. (This was hard for me to do. I found some suppliers for items I came across while visiting the Plymouth Plantation Museum in Massachusetts. I loved their gift shop and wanted everything in there. So I did some research, made the contacts and sold some items on a website. Later, I offered these items in our store, until we sold it. Then I didn't want to do anything anymore. I was tired. I find it hard to come up with ways or energy to pack and ship things.)

--------------
One Common thing I have not tried:

1. I know people sell things on E-bay. I cannot bring myself to do this. It seems like it would be extremely time consuming. I don't think I have the energy for it. It would overwhelm me.
-------------


What I am doing currently:

1. I have had a small daycare in my home for the past four years. We started this to have babies and children around. I have had as much as five children in care (along with my own five) and am now down to just two children a few days a week.

2. I have been a certified tax preparer for the last 16 years. It is very small scale, here at home. Only a few customers. I don't think I could handle more than that.

Why don't I do much more than this? Because I am very tired and want to be peaceful and relaxed here at home. I want to have a quiet spirit to tend to my family. Too much work would wipe me out.

-------------------
May I say this? The income I have earned over the years was extra money (used for gifts, extra food, trips, etc.) I cannot take the pressure of using my income for basic living expenses. I am grateful to have a husband who earns money to provide for us. There can be a danger in earning money, for a housewife. If she begins using her income, combined with her husband, to meet living expenses, she often RAISES her standard of living and the family becomes trapped, needing that extra money. It then becomes required and there is NO extra money. Please do not let this happen to you.
--------------------

Okay, then what did I use my earnings for?

1. I hired my children to help me. This gave them some spending money and kept them productive. It also gave them a myriad of skills. I still do this. Only one of my children currently works for me.

2. I buy extra snacks or treats or take a trip to visit relatives.


There are so many ways to earn money from home. However, it is very important to:

1. Sell things you know people NEED.
2. Make sure it is at a price that is reasonable and that they can afford.
3. Do not try to take advantage of anyone (by charging ridiculous prices, or using a sales pitch that makes them react emotionally to buy something they really don't want, or that they cannot afford.)
4. Fill a need, do not try to create one.

Here is another take on this. It is the opposite of earning money at home. It is also very difficult. Can you work very hard to save, save, save and carefully manage what is already coming in?

What are your thoughts?
---------
There is an excellent book on this topic that I HIGHLY recommend. It is published by Rod and Staff Publishers and called, "A Way In The Wilderness" by Elizabeth Wagler. This is about a Mennonite housewife who sees so many other housewives taking on work at home opportunities. She is confused by it and wonders if she should try something herself. There are a variety of examples presented here, in the form of a fiction story, that are interesting. In the end, it is good to see what this housewife decides to do and how God provides for them through difficult financial trials. . . I dearly hope you can find a copy of this somewhere. It is worth every dime.

Blessings
Mrs. White

A Wife's Job at Home - Doing My Part.

To Use Coupons or not - That is the Question (My Frugal Mother Never Did), with memories and stories of home economics.

Should Mother work outside the Home in 1981? - Thoughts from a charming, vintage publication.


Helping Mother




4 comments:

Tracy said...

I have that book!

I don't have the energy to take on anything else either. Taking care of my home & family is a full-time job in itself. :)

LessonsByGrace said...

It was very important that you stressed that SAHM need to make sure they save, save save, rather than trying to make money. Many do make this extra money, and they depend on it, and often can't stop.

Mrs. June Fuentes said...

Great post! I love hearing great ideas and think that having revenue come in from many different sources is key. Thanks for linking up!

Have a blessed day building up your sacred home!

Many blessings...

Sharon Cohen said...

Wonderful post for the theme of the linky "The Proverbs 31 Work at Home Woman". I am amazed at the other opportunities you've listed that I had not considered. My situation is a bit different - I have to be the breadwinner in our home as my husband is permanently disabled from a stroke.

I felt nudged when you wrote about childcare. We need to give that some serious thought. It is something that my husband and I could both do together. Hmm. I would welcome your prayers as we consider this option.

This was a valuable blog post for me. Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails