Friday, October 2, 2009

Precious Stories

Vintage Island Home







When my children were little, I would gather them around me and read story after story out of my favorite series of books, "Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories." These were such a delight. These are darling accounts written about children. Such sweet and precious lessons come through each page.

Some of the stories, broke this mother's heart and I would hold back my weeping as I read to my children. One such story was about a family who lived in the lighthouse. A storm had come up, late one night, but father was very ill. Mother was worried sick about him and no one could go up and run the light. The ships desperately needed to see to get back to shore. So these dear little children, struggled and hustled and got the light working. They suffered so much, but they helped bring those terrified sailors home. All the while, The Dad was so ill and they were worried sick about him. But they did this precious and blessed task with hearts full of love and compassion. Of course, every time I read that story, I would just cry.

Other stories are about answers to prayer when families needed food or a miracle. God always provided in marvelous ways. Sometimes little ones in the book would misbehave and their dear Mama used godly, gentle wisdom to teach them their lessons. Oh, we just adored those precious stories.

I still read these to the children, even when they are older. Around the time they become mid-to late teenagers, they no longer listen, but they see me reading to the younger ones and there is a smile and a warmness in their souls.

My oldest, Rachel, (21) has been living in her own home for about three years now. Yet she still remembers Uncle Arthur and talks about his dear stories.

Even though our young adults may have difficulties in this life, they still remember home, their childhood, and their growing up years with fond affection. May it always be so.

Blessings
Mrs. White

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Dear Mrs. White,
What a sweet and tender memory.
God bless,
d

Robert said...

I home schooled my daughter and against the advice of fellow school teachers, I did it without their help. There is too much going on in schools today that I don't approve of and some of the books they must read to pass an English class should be labeled as dirt. Needless to say, my daughter was asked to come to a northern college (four scholarships) and graduated number one in her class after never attending one single day in any school setting except the private school she worked in at age 14. I have required each of my children to begin working at age 14 and that too has proven to be one of their greatest achievements. Dr Robert E McGinnis author of good books for youngsters.

Anonymous said...

I was excited to see this article! When my youngest came of school age I sent her off as I had the others. I missed her so much after 3 months I brought her home and began home~schooling her. I started with the series Little House on The Prairie. When the other ones came home they'd sit in to listen. Eventually they asked me to wait until after dinner to read so they could all listen together! Near the end of the school term we took the children camping one weekend! Wasn't I surprised to learn that my oldest had brought the book along for evening reading around the campfire! To this day I treasure that memory in a much too quiet home otherwise.

Related Posts with Thumbnails