Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Day of Levity

Forest Creek




Buy at AllPosters.com




I remember when I was a young girl. I used to sit in the living room watching television after school. I would play and laugh with my sister. We would have such fun. But sometime in the afternoon, my father would come home from work. We would hear the back door open. We would hear the loud footsteps as he walked up the stairs. . . and as soon as we heard him, we would instantly straighten up, stop laughing and be quiet. Sometimes, we would even jump up and start cleaning. We would want our father to know we were being good and not goofing off. We didn't want to make him mad. We wanted to find favor in his eyes. We wanted him to be proud of us.

Today, for me, has felt like a day of levity. It started to get sad.... there was too much carelessness on my part and not enough thoughts of Heaven, Scripture and the preciousness of a somber holy life. What happened? It was like my Dad had come home from work and I realized I was goofing off.

It was like the trump had sounded and the Lord had come in the clouds and I was in the middle of laughing about worldly, foolishness and I was overcome with weeping and sorrow.

I thought of Job, in the Bible (1:4-5),

"And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, it may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually."

We are told so many times not to forget the Lord our God. We are told to thank Him and praise Him in all things.... when I spend an unreasonable amount of time in levity, I am heartbroken, lonely and sad. This is because I have, for a short time, walked too far away from my source of comfort and joy....

Today, I spent more time in the world, than I did in worship and fellowship with my precious, Heavenly Father ... and now my soul is sick.

But my knowledge of this is what will bring me back. My sadness will be turned to joy in just a little while....

Ecclesiastes 7:3 says, "Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better."


Blessings
Mrs. White

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails