Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How to Have a Quiet Homeschool

A Good Book
"A Good Book" art print - Walter Firle







When my children were little, we lived near an enormous library in Massachusetts. (This is the town I grew up in.) The library, itself, is phenomenal. I would take the children to pick out books every week. We would come home with 20 or more for each of us. Other than our daily homework assignments, we spent the rest of our time quietly reading.

My youngest children would have picture books, like "Berenstein Bears," or "Richard Scarry." They would sit, mesmerized for hours, just reading in silence.

Then we would have our lunch break and outside time. They would come back in and read some more. We also talked about funny things or interesting facts as they came up in our books. Then it was suppertime and the night had arrived. As long as the children had spent plenty of time doing chores and playing outside, they were very tired at bedtime and ready to sleep.

Yet, life sometimes causes changes in our routines and we need to make adjustments.

I remember several years ago, when we owned a country store. I was having a terrible time getting my two youngest students to focus on school. So, this is what I did. I actually bought them school uniforms.  Amy (then 9) had a navy skirt, white blouse (with peter pan collar) and a navy cardigan. John (then 7) wore Khaki pants, a white dress shirt and a burgundy sweater-vest. Boy did those children look awesome! This helped them focus at school time. It made a tremendous difference in our lives, during a difficult time. We did this for one school year and then things were okay again.

We are constantly going to need to make changes in our homeschool plans. Today, I had to do this again. After several weeks of confusion and disorganization, things got off-track. The following may change again in a couple of weeks, but it is our current program:


10:00 a.m. - The children will do workbooks. This will include Math, Home Ec. (for Amy), Penmanship, and worksheets.

11:30 a.m. - I will correct the lessons and go over them with the children, using our chalkboard (It is on the wall in our dining area).

12:00 p.m. - One hour lunch break.

1:00 pm. - I will alternate between history on one day, and Science the next.

1:30 p.m. - An English program.

2:00 p.m. - Art. Just something simple and quick.

2:15 p.m. - McGuffey Readers and Computer Math. The children will alternate. One student will do McGuffey with me, while the other one works on the computer. Then switch.

3:15 p.m. - I will give homework assignments to be done at night. These will have to be handed in the following morning. These will be writing assignments. (I will explain more about this in a future post.)

3:30 p.m. - The children have requested a time for physical education. So we will do a variety of exercises, etc at this time.

4:00 p.m. - Dismissed!!!

Any assignments not completed during our structured school time, will be done in the evening. The children will also do independent reading at night. Any additional review items we are working on, will be done after supper.

Our Family Bible study happens before bed. Amy (14) and I are also doing The Prentiss Study.

If my children are busy and occupied, they are very quiet.

I would love to hear your plans. Would you share?

blessings
Mrs. White

4 comments:

I am blessed! said...

This sounds similar to our school day, but you left out the rambunctious 3 yr old and the noisy 15 month old. I love quiet and it's very challenging for us to have a quiet homeschool! I spend a lot of time shushing my 3 yr old.

Mrs. White said...

You are so blessed to have young children! Enjoy it while you can, even the noise!

Blessings
Mrs. White

Michelle said...

I am working on a plan! I just wanted to let you know that you are a little ray of sunshine in may day and I gave you the sunshine award. http://delightfullearning.com/2010/01/you-are-my-sunshine/ *Ü*

Blessings!

Patty said...

can you tell me what the name of the picture on this particular post is? I'd love to get a print of it!
thank you~

Related Posts with Thumbnails