Friday, February 19, 2010

Fit Mommy (week 7)



The following is my check-in for Fit Mommy Friday. It is hosted by Denise. This is a way for many of us to encourage one another, to share our progress and to meet our own fitness goals. I am currently doing "Level Two." When you visit our blogs and read about our week, would you take a minute to share an encouraging comment?

Here's my week:

Sunday, (I added an extra day.)
30 minute work out in the morning.
In the evening, I did 10 push ups and 100 crunches.

Monday,
I was very busy today, but didn't do any specific exercises. (That would explain why I had no energy.)


Tuesday,
45 minute work out in the morning. Then scrubbed and cleaned out my fridge
and went grocery shopping.

Evening: Did 100 "crunches" and 10 push-ups



Wednesday,
45 minute work out in the morning.


Thursday,
45 minute work out in the morning, while listening to gospel music.


Friday,
45 minute work out in the morning, while listening to gospel music.


Nutritional Failure
: Between Saturday and Tuesday, I consumed an undisclosed number of root beer floats. I also had a mishap with some Pepperidge Farm cookies (Dark Chocolate Pecan). The next time I buy those, I will go for the "single serving pack" rather than a full size bag.

Goals Update: When I first started this program, my goal was to have more energy and endurance. As of this week, I have met that goal and am very happy with my progress. My new goal is to move up to Level 3. I plan to do this after week 8, so I have one more week of hard work doing Level 2 before I reach that goal.

Fit Mommy Comparison:

This week, as I built myself up to consistent 45 minute work-outs each day, I started to think about Level 3. Denise is in Level 3. How can I ever compare myself to her? She is much stronger than I am and can work out far longer than I ever could. (She can do 90 push-ups to my 10). Then I thought of Tracy, who is some kind of marathon champion (smiles). Why would I be allowed into level 3, just because I manage to do 45 minutes each day? But then I realized that fitness for each of us different. It is about what is important to us. What we need. I have had five cesareans, and a hysterectomy because of cancer. There is some permanent damage there and I cannot do anything that causes "impact."

When I was a young teenager (before there were workout videos or even VCR's!), I used to watch exercise programs on public television. I would do them every day all summer long and on weekends. During the school year, I came up with my own workouts because I had memorized all the exercises on those programs. I would also walk everywhere I had to go. By the time I was in High School, I used to time myself as I walked the 3 miles or so back home as fast as I could in my heels. (These were comfortable, well fitting, suede boots, which I wore all the time). I got to the point where I could walk home in 25 minutes.

Some weekend mornings, before the sun would come up, My older brother and I would get up and go for a run. This was when he was home from the army. It was beautiful that time of day. The streets were quiet and deserted. We jogged through the neighborhood of Hingham, Massachusetts and then into Weymouth, where we could see the harbor. The sun coming up over the water was an amazing sight to see and I have never forgotten our runs.

Right now, when I work out, I cannot stand videos. I feel like I am trapped in front of a TV. I want to do my own exercises at my own pace (fast or slow). So I simply do basic exercises in my livingroom. I don't wear the normal outfit either. I mostly wear a summer dress that goes down to my knees, with leggins or nylons, a pair of socks and my ankle weights. When I go for the occasional (slow-paced) run, during the summer at a deserted high school field, I run around the track in a long skirt and bare feet. But that's just me.

A few years ago, I bought John (12) a fitness book he wanted by Sylvester Stallone, called "Sly Moves." In this book, he explains how he has learned to do shorter, more efficient workouts that take far less time. He compares these to the hours he used to spend working-out, years before, and how he gets the same result now with less work. I can totally relate to this!

There is no reason for any of us to compare ourselves with others. As long as we meet our own goals and continue to get fit and healthy, we have succeeded.

6 comments:

~ Denise ~ said...

Now this is an awesome post! I love how you said fitness is a personal thing; you're absolutely right! Level 1, 2 or 3...all that matters is that you feel as though you're making progress; maintaining accountability; striving to do your very best and not letting yourself feel bad/guilty if you have a bad day/week.

I personally will never run barefoot but I can run in heels (4 inches on the streets of downtown Seattle to make it to a ballet performance after battling awful traffic) without difficulty! LOL

Awesome job this week. You deserved those cookies! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs White!
So glad to hear that you are building up your endurance. I know you had some asthma related problems this winter that left you kind of down. Praise God that you are able to work out! I did my normal hour on the work out machines. I hope to start adding in strength training in the weeks coming up. I also had a few nutritional failures. I fell off the wagon this weekend when my family and I started getting sick and I didn't have enough energy to cook for my family. We are still a little sick but I will be concentrating mmore on healthy foods this week.

Sarah L.

Rosemi said...

O you go girl! I can just imagine you running bearfoot in your long skirt=)

Michelle said...

You did wonderfully well this week, Mrs. White! You are very fit! I agree with you about the differences in level of workout. I am finding that I am working my way up to an advanced beginner level. My new workout DVD is a more intermediate level, but it was a good purchase for me right now, as I can save the second DVD for later.

I also like to get away from the TV and I like to go to the park when it is nice and walk in the fresh air. Just not when it is in the 30's and 40's outside! I am hoping for some 60's soon. It sounds like your living room is working out just fine for you!

Wendy Hilton said...

In spite of that "mishap" with the cookies, I am completely and totally impressed with what you are doing! I jogged on the treadmill for 15 minutes one day a couple of weeks ago, and then I spent the rest of the day waiting for bedtime to arrive. I guess that means I need to build up my stamina a little bit? :) I need to keep reading these posts until I get courageous enough to join in.

Wendy (from the Crew)

Heather said...

Love this post! Undisclosed rootbeer floats:)You are doing so well. Thanks for being here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails