Monday, February 22, 2010

Math Mammoth

TOS Crew Review
Product: Math Mammoth
Publisher / Author: Maria Miller (She has a master’s degree in Mathematics and is a homeschooling Mother.)

From the Website:
“The aim of my books is first and foremost to explain math in very simple terms, yet rigorously, concentrating on understanding of concepts.
The worktexts (the Blue Series and the LightBlue Series) are perfect for homeschoolers since they are self-teaching: no separate teacher's manual is needed. All the explanations are in the text. And that also makes them super easy to use for the teacher. Like someone commented, the book does the teaching.
And that has been my aim: I imagine teaching a concept on blackboard and try to put that to the pages of the book. So in essence it's me teaching through the book.”


Before I started anything, I was sent to Maria’s site to print out placement tests.

Just for fun, I printed out most of these, along with the answer keys. The children and I spent the next two days taking tests. We all enjoyed it! I didn’t care that my children were ages 12 and 15, we took tests in grades 2 through 5. I told the children we would re-take them in a few months to see their progress.
These tests are free and available to anyone. Please feel welcome to go print out some of these for your own family!

I received 5 items:

1. Clock for Grades 1 - 3 ($3.50 Download)
The problem with society (smiles) is that all our clocks are digital.
Children really need to learn what an old fashioned clock looks like and all the terms that go with it – half past four; clockwise, AM and PM.  The book is a great resource to teach these concepts.
- 58 pages.

2. Multiplication and Division for Grades 3 – 6 ($7.50 Download)
This is a supplemental book that focuses on practice problems. These are nicely set up and easy to work through.
-75 pages.

3. Numbers and Operations for Grades 3 - 6 ($4.25 Download)
This is a supplemental book that focuses on practice problems.
It includes place value which can be confusing to many children. This book will help the student thoroughly understand this concept and many others.
-46 pages.

4. (Light Blue Series) Grade 3 curriculum ($29.70 Download)
This is quite a resource! Part A is 150 pages. Part B is 165 pages.
It is considered to be a complete curriculum for this grade level.
It also has answer keys, tests, review sheets, and cutouts.
(This set is also available in printed form and can be shipped to you for a slightly higher price.)

5. (Light Blue Series) Grade 4 curriculum. ($29.70 Download)
This is a great resource! Part A  is 174 pages. Part B is 170 pages.
It is a complete curriculum for this grade level. It also includes answer keys, tests, review sheets and cutouts.
(This set is also available in printed form and can be shipped to you for a slightly higher price.)

Maria sent me a link to download all of these. I was low on ink so I only printed out a page or two, here and there, at first. The children did these worksheets and we read over some of the materials. Eventually, I was able to buy more ink and printed out two of the books. I put these into binders. The children have been working on them a few days a week. I love how Maria has set everything up. It is easy to follow and her explanations are extremely helpful.

You are allowed to print out as many copies of these books (for your own family) as you need. I plan to print out copies for myself as well. I am going to work through these books, right along with the children.  Why? Because I think they would love to have me do homework with them!

Overall, I am very impressed with Math Mammoth. Frankly, it doesn’t matter how old your child is. If they have some gaps in their math knowledge, they would be greatly helped by going through these materials.

Here is my philosophy: Math is fun and you can never do too much of it!




To find out more about my reviews, please visit "Introduction to our Homeschool Parlor"

*I received this item from this company (for free), for the purpose of sharing my opinion.*

0 comments: