Friday, February 26, 2010

Visiting With My Daughters

Summer Porch








There is nothing like having your loved ones gathered around the table. I just walked into my dining room and saw all the extra chairs brought to the table last night. It has been a long time since all my children were home together again.

Here in Vermont, there was a blizzard the other night. Rachel (my oldest, 22), her Fiancé (Ben), and Nicole (my second child, 20) were driving home in terrible weather. I was praying for them. I had faith they would make it here safely. Amy (15) and I started supper at 7 PM. Nicole called once from her cell-phone but the reception was bad. I tried calling her again at 7:30. They were getting closer and would be here by 8. When they walked in the door, cold, tired and hungry, a hot meal was waiting for them.

John (12) and I had made place cards and laid them out at each seat. We had our blue willow china on the table. Everything looked inviting. Ben was kind enough to say the blessing over the food. He did a beautiful job saying grace. He comes from a religious home and is used to prayers. I loved to see all my children eating together again. They are a lively bunch, full of laughter and stories. I hugged Ben and thanked him for bringing my girls safely home to me.

After we visited for awhile, some of the children scattered through the house. I did my Bible study, then pulled out the hymn books. Rachel was in the kitchen getting some dessert. Nicole and Ben sat at the table with me and we opened up our books to Amazing Grace. Nicole sang all four verses with me. I was so happy I almost cried.

The next morning we spent the day visiting and laughing. Rachel made breakfast for all of us. She is an excellent cook. I mended a rip in Rachel's jacket, then did some other sewing while we talked. Rachel played checkers with all the children and entertained us. She gave Amy all kinds of advice about nail polish and hair care. She is a licensed cosmetologist and the first thing she noticed was that I was out of "good" shampoo. "Why didn't you tell me, Mom?" She asked. "I would have brought you some!" She is a sweet and precious daughter!

Nicole brought gifts for her younger siblings. Amy got some sunglasses. John and Matthew (17) got new T-shirts. They were so excited! Such a thoughtful big sister!

There was plenty of food and the children helped themselves. I was so grateful for the blessings of God! It is wonderful to see your family have snacks and treats and good meals to eat. Rachel kept saying to whoever was heading towards the kitchen, "We need some soda in here!" (smiles)

When it was time for them to leave, it was very hard. I hugged them all and said, "Someday, you will all be coming here with my grandchildren! It will be wonderful! I can't wait!" Nicole hugged me tight. She almost cried. She is trying to find a good man and wants to settle down. "Mom, I want that too!" She told me.

I watched and waved, in the darkness, as they drove away. And I missed them so much it hurt.

Well, I still have my youngest three at home and am very grateful. And my dear girls call me every single day. We are all very close. We are all very blessed.

- Mrs. White

You might also like:

What happens when your precious children grow up and start living in the world? Read my post, "The Shocks of Motherhood."

What were kitchens like in the old days? Here is where I ask, "Do you Love your Kitchen?"

Just for fun, read about my favorite Little House on the Prairie Episode, "The Richest Man in Walnut Grove."

4 comments:

Jodi @ The Homeschool Desk said...

Sounds like a nice visit! Love the way you linked up your old posts...looks great ::)

Deanna said...

Blessings to you Mrs. White!
Wonderful time to gather around the table and have fellowship.
Glad that all arrived safely.

Brrrrrr...you are getting the snow.

Hopefully we will have temps in the 40s this week-end.

I'm enjoying your blog!
God bless,
d

Lownsbery Family said...

Mrs. White-
It sounds like you had a lovely visit with your girls and future son-in-law. I have been thinking about going to cosmetology school when we get back to the states because all of my children will be in school. How does your daughter like it? Tell Nicole I will be praying that she finds a nice man :)

Sarah L.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. Saying goodbye is hard. Munchkin had her first real sleepover last night (at our neighbor's house). It was soooo hard for me to let her go. They just grow up way too fast.

Related Posts with Thumbnails