Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil and Cookie Recipe

I received a 32 oz jar of Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions. The jar is beautiful! I love their artwork. I was excited to make up a recipe using this oil. Since I make cookies several days a week, I thought I'd simply make some adjustments to my normal recipe. Here is the recipe I created:

Simple - No Leavening Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies -

1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar.
1/3 cup granulated sugar.

1 loosely measured cup of Tropical Traditions Gold Label Coconut oil - still solid. Then melt this on low into a liquid.It will be less than a cup after melting.

Blend with electric mixer for about a minute.

Add 2 eggs and 1 t. vanilla extract. Blend with mixer.

Then add one cup of whole wheat flour. Mix well. (The dough will be thick.)

Add 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips. Mix well.

Shape with hands into a rounded shape. Then flatten with hands before placing on cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degree pre-heated oven for about 15 - 17 minutes.

These will be crispy.  Makes around 2 dozen medium to large sized cookies.

Recipe Copyright 2010 by Mrs. White
 -------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, you may ask why there is no leavening in this recipe? Or why is there no salt? I have a great reason for this - I don't have any baking powder (A little Passover incident), and I forgot to put the salt in the dough!! (smiles). So this recipe is one part accident and one part on purpose! But hey, the cookies still taste great!

Note: Before I melted the coconut oil, I wanted to make sure it was safe and also allowed. I quickly found my answers at coconut-connections.  When I went back to the Tropical Traditions website, I also found that coconut oil is actually very healthy. So.... eating these cookies is good for you. (smiles). 

When my Mother (who lives with us) saw this large jar of oil, her eyes widened. From what I understand, she wants to use this to fry up some chicken.  She has a great recipe from my sister. I will share my Coconut Oil with my Mother.  I know she will share the chicken when it is finished! (smiles)

To find out more about Tropical Traditions or Coconut Oil, be sure to visit their website. You can also follow their company on Twitter.

*I received this product from Tropical Traditions for Review purposes.*





2 comments:

Andi said...

Sounds Yummy! Thank you and I hope to make these some time...

Julie Glover said...

just an FYI...Coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils available. It has many properties that make it attractive. For one it is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. We use it often for those reasons.

Related Posts with Thumbnails