Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mama as the Guardian Angel

Lighthouse and Stormy Sea


There are so many things in this world that attack our children. There are subtle influences that seem harmless but draw our teenagers away from us. Many times, our children don't have any common sense. As Mothers, we want to trust their judgment, we want to help nurture their gifts, creativity, and growing wisdom. But we must remain on guard. They are still children, lacking discernment and maturity.

How many times have you overheard a phone conversation, or children discussing some sort of plan, and had to intervene? How many times have you caught your teenager unknowingly heading into danger? How many times have you wept at the thought of what could have happened?

The problem is when we get complacent. We cannot let the world destroy our precious ones. We have to be on watch - on guard at all times. This is exhausting, but we mothers must be alert.

I cannot tell you how many times I've stayed up all night because I sensed danger. Or the times I had to drive, in the middle of the night, to help one of my older children.

But it is not enough. I feel my own frailty. I know I am weak and half-asleep most of the time. I am not always on-guard. This is what scares me. This is what drives me to pray constantly and fervently for their safety. I cannot do it alone, but I often feel as if I am the Guardian Angel of my own children.

Blessings,
Mrs. White

Share/Bookmark



Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

1 comments:

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I've learned that I am not my daughter's guardian angel. That job rests completely on the Lord. I'm grateful that such a huge responsibility does not rest completely on my shoulders. It would be too great a burden...

I am here to watch over her. I need to guide her and protect her from danger. I need to train her up in the way she should go.

Ultimately, she is only on loan to me. **gulp** She belongs to the Lord and He will do a much better job watching over her than I ever could.

I do my best. I pray. I give it to the Lord.

Related Posts with Thumbnails