Saturday, June 19, 2010

Frugal Homemaking

Housewife in Tygart Valley Removing Laundry from Clothesline, Her Young Daughter Stands Beside Her



I made a big breakfast for the family this morning. We don't have much money this week, so I had to get creative, using what I already had on hand. While I was working, I started thinking about the old Farm-wives. Dad would be out in the fields or barn, doing chores while breakfast was being prepared.

Mr. White was outside before I even woke up, today, mowing our 2 acres. I wanted to make sure he had a good meal waiting for him.  I peeled potatoes and started frying them up. Then I cleaned the kitchen and did the dishes. I made some biscuit dough and got those in the oven. Then I mixed up some eggs to start frying, when I knew everyone would be ready to eat.

The children were all awake. They were out in the backyard playing basketball. Then I heard them working on our old pool. It is one of those large vinyl types, but it had to be repaired. John (12) came in and wondered if we could get some duct-tape. "How much will that cost?" I asked him. I was more than willing to scrounge up my change or do what I had to in order to get that tape for those busy, industrious children. But I had nothing. I only have my grocery money and gas money. There was no room to spare a few dollars. Well, the next thing the children decided to do was ask me to borrow a needle and thread. A short time later, I looked out the window while I cooked in the kitchen, and saw them busy sewing all the rips in the old pool. They are precious children!

In a short time, I called them all in for breakfast. The happiest moment in a mother's life is when her family eats every bit of food she prepares and tells her it was wonderful. Then off they went, outdoors, for more work.

I just baked a batch of homemade chocolate chip muffins so they would have a nice, filling snack for later. I will do a load of laundry, finish my kitchen duties and then take a break on the front porch.

I have on my country apron, and I am listening to old southern gospel while I work. I love "Precious Memories" by J.D. Sumner. It reminds me of my childhood home. Mother was always working in the kitchen and Dad was working outside. We had a precious home. Mom made delicious foods with a small amount of money. She made it look so easy! But it takes a lot of hard work, creativity and a bit of spunk!

There are many days when I get too tired to have a frugal, old fashioned home. But I just keep going and remember the old southern way of life. Mamas worked hard at home and never complained. The glorious rest will come one day when we enter the gates of heaven.

Blessings,
Mrs. White
Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark







8 comments:

Deanna said...

Mrs. White,
Your breakfast sounds fantastic!

God bless us and give us strength to be who He wants us to be.

May you have a wonderful week-end and blessings,
d

Debbie said...

First of all, you don't look old enough to have a 22 year old child. Then again, I'm still having trouble accepting the fact that I have a 17 year old!
Anyway, I love your posts! I love the honesty (about being low on money) and the beautiful way you described your son Matthew. What a kid!

Just reading the last few posts you have written, gave me such a blessing.

Have a wonderfully blessed week!

Debbie

Linda said...

So glad you are feeling better.My husband is out of work so we are being as frugal in all ways as possible..I am sure God will provide all we need. May God bless you and your family.

Jocelyn said...

I love your posts on frugal homemaking - I get inspired by them! I have a question... how do you get everything prepared on time? Do you have specific times for your family to eat? All summer I kept having timing issues...and when it was time to eat, the food wasn't warm enough (even when covered)... does it come with practice? or would it be something I'm doing wrong?

Mrs. White said...

Godsgalnj,

I think it does come with practice. We don't always eat at specific times, but I will "warn" everyone that I am preparing a meal and will call them in "about 20 minutes" or whenever, so they know.

Here's a breakfast example - if the menu is fried potatoes, homemade biscuits, scrambled eggs and cantaloupe, you might want to do the following:

1. Start the potatoes first (they take 30 minutes or so to peel and fry).

2. While the potatoes are cooking, get the biscuit dough ready. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet and preheat the oven. Don't bake them yet.

3. Cut the cantaloupe and place in a serving bowl.

4. Mix up the eggs in a bowl so they are ready to fry when you are ready.

5. When the potatoes are almost finished, put the biscuits in the oven. Call the family in to get ready to eat. They should wash up and sit at the table. Serve them juice, coffee or whatever.

6. Start the eggs. When the biscuits are done, you can butter those and place them on a serving platter. Once the eggs are done, quickly serve the food.

Hope that helps!

Jocelyn said...

Wow! That did help a lot! Since we all go to public school, it'll be difficult to get everyone at the breakfast table at the same time - but I can work around that. Thank you oh so much for spelling that out for me...I'm pretty new at homemaking. I'm 19 and just recently started. Timing has been one of my main concerns - this list helps! God bless you! =)

L said...

I have to say I am loving your blog. Very inspiring! I am also a new reader. :)

Anonymous said...

This is so similiar to how we live. Such a blessing that youhave shared your godly attitude. God bless you. Please know you have encouraged me, and in turn, a whole family.