Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Homemaking Survival - Home Economics

Girls Learning How to Bake in Home Economics Class


This post is part of an ongoing series to give you an inside look at what I am doing to teach my 15 year old daughter (Amy) the art of homemaking skills. I will also share stories and memories of how I taught my older daughters (currently ages 21 and 22). You can expect to see these posts every Tuesday, here at The Legacy of Home.

Category - First Aid and Nursing

This past week, I have been recovering from a fall. Amy had to take over the management of our home. It was a week of survival.

Kitchen Duty

Our normal routine is for Amy and John to share the work in our kitchen. They divide up the chores. One does the sweeping, cleaning counters and stove, etc. The other child will do all the dishes. However, no one wanted to do the dishes at all this week! (smiles) Big surprise, right? So we bought paper plates and paper cups to make it easier on them. There were still dishes, but not as many.

Since I enjoy cleaning the kitchen, I do some of the work each day. However, my injuries made it impossible for me to do any housework. The poor children had to find a solution to their problem.  Amy came up with a great idea. She negotiated with John and decided they would take turns. One day she would do the dishes all day long. The next day, he did the dishes all day. This worked extremely well and made them both happy. I was delighted she was able to resolve this without needing my help.

Nursing

During this time, I was resting with my arms propped up on pillows. I was in a tremendous amount of pain.  Amy would check on me and see if I needed anything. It reminded me of something that happened several months ago.

I had the flu and couldn't get out of bed. Mr. White had a few days off from work and was taking care of me. But he kept bringing me large portions of food - toast and eggs, or pasta, etc. I couldn't eat any of it.  One night, feeling extremely weak, I thought I would never get well. So when Amy came into my room, I pulled her close to me, smiled, and whispered, "Amy, if you don't take care of me, I'm not going to survive!"  She grinned. From that moment on, she took charge of my care. She brought me Gingerale and made me dry toast. She served me light meals - like potato broth, or a sliced apple. By the end of the next day, I had enough strength to sit up and was feeling better.

Amy and I have taken turns caring for each other. Whenever she is sick, the nurse in me kicks into action. However, (and this always happens) as soon as she is well, I end up in bed with the same illness! Within days, she is up and around, but taking care of me!

The House Suffers

Whenever I am sick, or recovering from some injury, our house suffers. The children have learned to keep things presentable. It may not be spotless, but it is enough that we are not upset if sudden guests arrive. That is unless we are ALL SICK. In that case, please do not come over! (smiles)


Nurse by Nature

Yesterday, I was sitting in the car with Amy, waiting for Matthew. Somehow, I slammed my bad arm against the steering wheel. The pain was horrendous! Guess what? That old wound opened up and started to bleed again. I felt like I was going to faint. Amy quickly grabbed a napkin to help stop the bleeding. We got it under control and then managed to get some band-aids. Do you know what that sweetie did? She offered to bandage my arm! Very carefully, she put on two band-aids and made sure it was secure. I was grateful. Then when we got home, I went straight to bed and let Amy take over the house. (smiles)

I suppose it is much easier to teach your daughter nursing skills when her mother is a fragile. . . weak. . .  accident-prone. . .  baby. (smiles)

Blessings
Mrs. White
Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails