Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Teaching Home Economics To Daughters

Girls Learning How to Bake in Home Economics Class


I love Home Economics. I love everything about it. I fondly remember the classes I took in school, many years ago, to learn about keeping a home. I wrote about this, in - Teaching Home Economics Through Apprenticeship.

Starting today, this will be a new series. I am going to share with you how to teach home economics to your daughters. I will write about this on Tuesdays. I am going to tell you exactly what I am doing with Amy (15).   I will also share stories of what I did with my older two girls, now ages 20 and 22.

Here is a list of subjects I will cover:

1. Meal Planning on a Budget.
           - Kitchen Inventory - The Pantry -

2. Frugal Grocery Shopping.
3. Cleaning.
           - Heavy Cleaning - 
           - Domestically Challenged -

4. Organization.
5. Scheduling your time.
6. Child Care.
       - Child Care - 

7. Baking.
       - The Wilton Anniversary Cake - 
      

8. Cooking.
      - More than just Homemade Ravioli -

9. Hospitality and Manners.
      - The Breakfast Hostess - 
      - Supper Time with Precious Helpers -

10. Household Expenses.
11. Bank Accounts and Paying Bills.
12. Sewing and Mending.
13. Secretarial Skills - Being a Helper to your Family / Husband.
14. Nutrition.
15. Basic First Aid and Nursing.
        -  Homemaking Survival-

16. Laundry.
17. Beauty and Charm.
18. What I learned from My own Mother.

I will add more topics to this page as we go along. These will not be "how-to" posts, but personal stories in each category of what we are doing, here at home. I will also be writing several posts for each topic, over time. I want this to be a fun way to read about teaching these important skills to our girls.

[You can also read about training boys in Teaching Life Skills to Sons. ]

Stay tuned! We start next Tuesday! [ *Edited update - I am no longer posting on Tuesdays, but will add to this as I am able.*]

Blessings,
Mrs. White

** This post will serve as a permanent index. I will post links under each category as we go along. **





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.



Share/Bookmark


6 comments:

mitch1066 said...

Teach home economics to our children!With school cutbacks it seems we are not teaching our kids the fundamentals of feeding and taking care of a family....oh we teach them nutrition in theory but with both parents working these days a lot of kids are growing up not knowing how to cook and clean ,budgeting time and money to raise a family and hold a marraige and kids together.
Well done for writing on this subject:)

Linda said...

I can`t wait! I`m home-schooling my 16 yr.old daughter.This is coming at a great time.I did`nt know where to start. Thank-you!!!

Krystal said...

I'm so happy you're going to be covering this. Home Ec is one thing I dread teaching my children, simply because my mother never really taught me and I'm terrible at it, even now. I can't wait to read your tips and ideas...one of my priorities is to make sure my children are more prepared to keep their own home than I was.

Marlis said...

Why only daughters? what about your sons? They look old enough to learn many of things you spoke about. How many young men would benefit from this knowledge. I am teaching my daughter home-life-skills and when my son is old enough, he too will learn to cook, sew a button or mend a hem. You have a great list and I will definitely copy your points but I think you should add some things like hanging a picture straight, fixing the areator in the sink, minor plumbing, how to fix a broken lightswitch or socket etc. I love that you included household expenses and other financial lessons.

Diane said...

I just stumbled upon your blog today and love it. It is so great that you are doing the series on Home Ec. Yesterday I started putting together a Home Ec program for our 11 year old daughter to work on once a week. Looking forward to your future posts.
Blessings
Diane

LM Cooley said...

Interesting series, I just happened upon it today and have already bookmarked this page to read up on your experience.

I'm a Home Economist - as in "teacher of home ec": textiles, foods & nutrition, family studies and planning. It's sad that some schools are no longer teaching home ec. We're fortunate in our school that it's still a growing program (in spite of cut-backs... just need to get more creative with shopping/gardening).

Right now I'm teaching my atypical, 4 year old son how to cook. His knife skills are coming along nicely and I'm looking forward to him growing big enough to put food into the oven.

Never too young to start (he's been helping me in the kitchen since he was 2 - setting and clearing the table), and I hope that more people realize the home arts are life skills rather than scary kitchens from which to ban children.

Lara

Related Posts with Thumbnails