Saturday, July 10, 2010

Aprons and Lace

Summer Window Box, Petunia, Osteopermum, Window, Shutter, Lace Curtain


When I think of a lovely home, I imagine flowers, lace curtains, charming decorations and pretty aprons. It is a delightful art to keep a pleasant home.

My Mother-in-law always had white lace curtains in her kitchen. They were tied back with ribbons. Meme (as we called her), would tuck in a flower, along with the ribbon, to make it look extra pretty.

I remember my mother's apron collection. She had ruffled, colorful aprons. When I was a teenager, I would receive presents of elegant aprons which I loved to wear. One was burgundy calico and had large pockets. It was classic country and so pretty.

One year, I received a wicker sewing basket as a gift. It had calico fabric over the top and a delicate handle with ribbons on the edges. I filled it with thread, needles, pins, buttons and scraps of lace. Even after more than 25 years, I still use that basket on a regular basis. It is a treasure.

I have a beautiful lace cloth I put on my table every Friday night. I place candles in the center and my Bible on the side. It makes everything at home feel more special and inviting. It is a Home Comfort.

I've come across a couple of charming books to help inspire us to find joy in homemaking.

Afternoon Tea1. Afternoon Tea. by Susannah Blake.

If Teacups Could Talk: Sharing a Cup of Kindness with Treasured Friends2. If Teacups Could Talk by Emilie Barnes.

Home Warming: Secrets to Making Your House a Welcoming Place (Barnes, Emilie)3. Home Warming: Secrets to Making Your House a Welcoming Place by Emilie Barnes.

Life That Says Welcome, A: Simple Ways to Open Your Heart & Home to Others4. A Life that Says Welcome by Karen Ehman.

What are your favorite things that help make home more inviting?

Blessings,
Mrs. White

Last spring, I made A Restaurant Style Breakfast at Home.

When the children were ill last November, we had A Catered Thanksgiving.

When my dear Nicole was a little girl, I gave her a job called, "The Breakfast Hostess."

Come along with me and visit my Mama's Kitchen.


Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark


1 comments:

joyce said...

I'm not into lace, although I do like plain sheer panels. I like them really full and long so they puddle slightly on the floor.

I don't feel my house is "inviting" unless it is clean, or at least neat and picked up.

One thing I do to make my home inviting is to use various types of fragrance. I burn scented candles or use my electric wax tart warmers. I also love those reed diffusers with the scented oils. I especially like them in the bathrooms. They make the room smell nice without having a candle burning all the time.

If I could afford it, I would have fresh cut flowers in the house at all times. Sometimes I'll put together a vase of greenery from my garden. The flowers I have are short-lived and fragile. I wish I did have a cutting garden, but I don't. My garden consists mainly of tropicals and natives.

I "warm up" my rooms with accessories - pillows, throws, accent rugs, art, mirrors, etc. I think that makes a place inviting and cozy and homey.

Related Posts with Thumbnails