Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday's Front Porch Visit - The No TV question

Southern Grace



Come on over and join me on the front porch for our Monday visit! 

On Saturday, John (13) and I watched a television movie, "Jack's Family Adventure," on the Hallmark channel.  It was about a Mother and Father and their two teenage children, who spent the summer in a cabin in the woods. It was fascinating to watch them give up cell phones and video games. Frankly, the show inspired me to want to keep the electricity (mostly) off and just live a quiet life at home. Then I walked into the living room, did a few things, and got bored. (smiles) So, I went back to watch another show.

I have to say, there have been times in my life when I didn't watched TV at all. I didn't even miss it. But lately, I find it relaxing and cheerful. Yesterday I watched a 1940's movie with Jane Wyman on Turner Classic Movies and I loved it.  My television watching doesn't last more than 2 hours at a time, possibly 2 hours a day.  But I would love to hear from those of you who don't watch any television, DVDs or anything at all. What do you do all day long at home?

After resting for most of yesterday, I got to work on a delightful supper. I decided to bake and cook at the same time. I had a couple of helpers with me for a few minutes, but then sent them off to play. If I feel under pressure in the kitchen, I have to work alone. I turned on gospel music and peeled cucumbers. I boiled pasta, fried up some ground burger, started mixing up a batch of homemade, whole wheat, apple cinnamon muffins, sliced sharp cheddar cheese, diced apples, opened a can of peas, and somehow got it all organized.

John set the table. I called the children in for supper. Matthew's (17) girlfriend was visiting, so she ate with us too. She is a sweet girl.  I served everyone "restaurant style," which means I portioned out the food onto each plate and brought them to each person, as a waitress does.

On each plate:

1. Penne pasta with cheddar cheese, burger and Prego sauce.
2. Sliced cucumbers.
3. Green Giant Peas.
4. Fresh Grapes.

While the children were eating, the delightful scent of apple cinnamon baking in the oven carried through the air. . . Heavenly.

When it was time to take the muffins out, I let them sit on the stove for a few minutes. Then transferred them to a cooling rack. Next, I buttered the top of each one. Then delicately sprinkled them with sugar. They were scrumptious!  Making perfect muffins requires excellent recipes.  I use the greatest cookbook in the world. It is Mostly Muffins by Barbara Albright and Leslie Weiner. It was published in 1984 and has been my constant kitchen companion all these years!

I am planning to make homemade pizza tonight and I am going to watch a Turner Classic Movie. We are going to have a glorious day!

Blessings
Mrs. White

The Old Time Housewives and  Summer Housekeeping

Making Breakfast, pondering home life in - Frugal Homemaking.


Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark



13 comments:

alecat said...

Is that really your front porch? How pretty. ☺

I wish we had Hallmark tv here, but then again, if we did, I'd probably watch more tv! (wink!)

We generally have a rule of no tv at all during the mornings, and then only in the afternoon/evening if all schoolwork has been completed.

I grew up in a home without a tv until I was 13yrs old. We used to do heaps of things to keep ourselves busy, but once you have that tv, it's a magnet ... but much cheaper than going to the cinemas. ☺

Michelle said...

During the summer when home school is on break, I might allow our children to watch a family friendly movie in the afternoon/evening.Either that or something wholesome or unoffensive on TV.

The rule for them is that they must be outside playing in this beautiful New England weather on every day that is beautiful for at least two hours or no TV time at all!(Unless someone is ill)

During home school they don't get to watch any TV or movies during the school week, unless there is illness in the family. Since free time isn't very plentiful during H.S. days, they usually play together or find something creative to do.

Marbel said...

We never watch broadcast tv other than an occasional baseball game. We watch dvds occasionally. Most of those are "educational" (Planet Earth, Teaching Company history course, other science or history dvds). But as the kids get older we have the desire to watch more movies.

There really isn't time for much of this, though, with reading and playing outside and walking the dog and going places and playing games. My kids don't have nearly the exposure to tv/movies that their friends do.

joyce said...

Your meal sounds perfectly divine! I'm sure the children enjoyed it.

Television...I'm afraid I watch a lot of tv. I'm here by myself, and there's only so much I can do during the day. And night. I have cable and Verizon Video on Demand, so I am pretty much of a couch potato. My favorite networks are HGTV and the home decorating/remodeling shows. I enjoy old movies, too.

I'm a writer. When I'm "working", I don't watch much tv. I spend hours at the computer, writing. I'm working on a novel and right am taking a coffee break after three hours of writing.

I think it would be hard to live without television these days, with all the news and sports channels and entertainment shows too. But I do believe kids need more fresh air, exercise, and sunshine. Unfortunately, television, computer time, and elecronic games and devices seem to take up too many hours for young people.

joyce said...

Your meal sounds perfectly divine! I'm sure the children enjoyed it.

Television...I'm afraid I watch a lot of tv. I'm here by myself, and there's only so much I can do during the day. And night. I have cable and Verizon Video on Demand, so I am pretty much of a couch potato. My favorite networks are HGTV and the home decorating/remodeling shows. I enjoy old movies, too.

I'm a writer. When I'm "working", I don't watch much tv. I spend hours at the computer, writing. I'm working on a novel and right am taking a coffee break after three hours of writing.

I think it would be hard to live without television these days, with all the news and sports channels and entertainment shows too. But I do believe kids need more fresh air, exercise, and sunshine. Unfortunately, television, computer time, and elecronic games and devices seem to take up too many hours for young people.

Brittany said...

We sold our T.V. because we felt it was an unnecessary part of our day. That way, we got some money for it(which helped us to feel better about the whole thing)! We've never had cable or anything like broadcast television though because it's an unnecessary cost but we watched a lot of T.V. on dvd. But now I keep myself busy cooking, cleaning, and taking care of my one-year-old. I read books to her and read books myself. I hand sew and I crochet. I also run an internet business that sells homemade goods so I have that to do. It all keeps me busy throughout the day!

Pebblekeeper said...

Our dinners sound similar last evening. :) I did ask hubby if he would chop the cabbage for my salad, the youngest and I rowed for 3 hours yesterday and my wrists were shot. :) I get such a selfish wonderful joy when passing a steaming fresh plate of food, watching the eyes widen, and seeing the pleading glances around the table to see if they are next. :) Last night - I took advantage of a $2.00 pack of Pork Chops that had been run through the meat piercer - to make some marvelous chicken fried chops - with Panko instead of flour. We had fresh cabbage salad with Cesar dressing and tomatoes fresh from outside, and cucumbers which had been sliced and put in the pickled jalapeno jar for a day.

Oh but you got me side tracked on meals and actually asked about TV.
We were blessed 5 years ago to move to a place that did not have cable or internet, or cell coverage. We did have DVD's but watching the same ones over and over loses interest.
It was a great year and a half, and really taught us to love getting outside, reading, playing more board games, cooking, taking advantage of community events, and just walking or sitting outside in the evening dusk.
Our VERY BAD HORRID HABIT - Read not anywhere near normal here - of constant internet and cable were cut. The next home we moved in to - we decided to turn on internet but not cable. Now - we have free cable that feeds through our internet connection on our HDTV, but not the other tv's in the house.
Now, we do what you seem to do, use it as a tool, for entertainment and relaxation. Choosing what we want to watch. Never turned on all day. We have a rule for no re-runs. During the "School" day - we have a no electronics rule until 2pm, unless researching something for a topic. But really being on the internet from 2-10pm is alot of hours. :) We play baseball outside, fish, and my favorite - sit and talk with coffee. :)

Amy said...

We recently gave up our satellite TV to save money and now we get 6 channels. That has certainly cut back on our TV watching, although we still watch movies and old TV shows (like Andy Griffith) on DVD. I miss my favorite channels sometimes, but I feel we have accomplished something by giving up something for the sake of the family.

Anonymous said...

Books on TV: Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman, Remote Control by Carl Kerby(answersingenesis.org), The Plug-In Drug by Marie Winn and All the Way Home by home educator Mary Pride(one chapter).-Taryn

heather in europe said...

Granted, I am in a different scenario without children and working fulltime. However, I have been without a TV since January 2009. After a month without it my life adjusted to books, gardening, nature walks and other tasks.

In the UK where we have government TV licensing costs of 145 British pounds/year (=225 USD!), plus cable, electricity, etc. in addition, it makes for an easy decision on a cost basis when one is attempting to live a frugal lifestyle. :-)

Dimple said...

We watch very little TV here. My children are grown and gone, and since the conversion to digital we only get a few stations. Usually there is nothing worth watching.

What do I do? Play on the internet! It's a shame, There is much else I could do, but that seems to be where I spend a lot of time

Heather said...

We are doing without cable this year and don't miss it much...but we do mysteriously still get a few channels (ESPN and Food Network...funny!). Even though we have told the cable company, they are still coming in. It's funny how we gravitate towards the tv when we are tired. I do enjoy the extra quiet during the day without tv, and I find that the kids have enough imagination that they do not need tv IF it is not available. 30 Minute Meals and Paula Deen were lifesavers, though, on our recent 107 degree days with no outdoor time...I needed a break with everyone sitting and me not having to be reading!

I love your blog and appreciate your viewpoints and honesty. I am sure you have recieved dozens of blog awards, but I got my first two today, and when I had to think of a blog that embodied "Lovely" for one and "Sunshine" for another, I thought of you, so visit my blog to check out my post with your link in it.

Blessings,

Heather

http://blessing-farm.blogspot.com/2010/07/lovely-little-miss-sunshine.html

Carrie said...

We have a large garden here, so the kids and I work out there a lot. We also have a couple of dogs to play with. Lots of flowers and shrubs to weed through and keep looking nicely. There's lots to do when it's a nice day so that TV is not watched in this house. I also do not sit and watch TV. Between reading and math and baking and laundry and other chores it does take up a lot of time. It is nice to sit outside and read at the end of the day. The kids love when I bring cookies and a pitcher of Lemonade out, we even add some flavored juice ice cubes to change up the flavor as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails