Saturday, July 3, 2010

Mother's Hymns

When my children were very little, I obtained several copies of a beloved Hymn book. We have used these books during our time of Family Worship for many years. Many of the songs are familiar to me because my Father used to sing them around the house or he would listen to gospel recordings. As a teenager, we sang these kinds of precious songs in our old fashioned church, or out in a rural church in the south, when we heard my Uncle Preach.

Some of you have asked me about the hymns I love to sing, and listen to. I am going to tell you about three specific products. Then I will give you a list of my favorite songs - the ones I sing with the children the most.

1. The Hymn Book -

Soul Stirring Hymns and Songs. This was published by Sword of the Lord and is an amazing resource.

I have some of these in Blue and some in Maroon. They are a treasure. I have pages folded for easy access.  On the inside front cover of each of our books, I have written the name of the child who owns it, or, on my copy - it says, "Mother."

Sometimes, I will just pull out a copy and sing, just to cheer myself up on hard days.

2. Precious Music on CD - Johnny Cash -

My Mother's Hymn Book CD


I showed this CD to John (12) last night,  and told him how much I wanted my own copy. It made me want to cry. I listened to the sample songs and was greatly comforted. These are songs my Father used to sing, and I sang to my own children. Some of them include: "I am a Pilgrim;" "When the Roll is Called up Yonder:" and "Just as I am."  Johnny Cash has the most amazing voice. This CD is a treasure!


3. Collection of Hymns on CD -

Amazing Grace: 40 Treasured Hymns, Compact Disc [CD]

These lovely songs are performed by none other than Tennessee Ernie Ford. He does an amazing job of singing old fashioned classic hymns that soothe and touch the soul. John and I listened to all the sample songs on the computer last night. I want to own this one too!  Here are some of the songs contained on this CD - "Life's Railway:" "Amazing Grace:" and "Wayfaring Pilgrim."

4. List of Familiar Hymns I sing with my Children on a regular basis (from the above hymn book.) -

P. 41 - "Sweet By and By"

P. 53 - "Beulah Land"

P. 55 - "When the Roll is Called up Yonder"

P. 64 - "Shall We Gather at the River" (This one was often sung at Baptisms when My Father was a child.)

P. 86 - "In the Garden"

P. 129 - "Rock of Ages"

P. 145 - "It is Well with my Soul" (Do you know the sad story behind this one? I learned this as a teen and sang it in our church choir.)

P. 147 - "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms"

P. 162 - "To God be the Glory"

P. 243 - "Victory in Jesus"

P. 244 - "Amazing Grace"

P. 261- "Turn your Eyes Upon Jesus" (I cannot tell you how many times I sang this song, in the middle of a crisis, with tears in my eyes!)

P. 270 - "Just as I Am"

P. 280 - "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling"

P. 308 - "I Surrender All"

P. 316 - "I have Decided to Follow Jesus" (John and I have sung this many times together when the world seemed to be crashing down around us.)

P. 319 - "Just a Closer Walk with Thee"

P. 325 - "Trust and Obey" (This one has helped to soothe me on many occasions. It helps to take away my worries.)

P. 379 - "Bringing in the Sheaves" (Very cheerful, precious song!)

P. 410 - "Faith is the Victory"

What about you, Mother? What are your memories of singing hymns? Which ones are your favorites?

Blessings,
Mrs. White
Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Cindy Ellison said...

It seems I could have written the same list as you, Mrs. White. I do love all the hymns you listed. Today I have a song on my mind, "A Robin Built a Nest on Daddy's Grave", the version sung by Ralph Stanley.

Mrs. White said...

Cindy,

What a sweet song. I love Ralph Stanley!

Blessings
Mrs. White

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I was able to request both of the CD's from our public library. I will have to order the hymn book. I am looking forward to some simple, old-fashion worship songs! Again, thank you for sharing.
Mrs. Kim B.

Taryn said...

I keep Alan Jackson's CD- Precious Memories in my pocketbook. It has 15 hymns.

Related Posts with Thumbnails