Thursday, July 8, 2010

Trials and Laughter

Spring Garden, Narcissus, Tree Bright Sunshine France Narcissi Paris



This heat wave is rough on so many of us. I am grateful for a cool house and air conditioning. But it is still pretty outdoors. We have our rushing river at the back of the property and the sound of the water crashing down over the rocks is soothing. I love to stand on the grassy hill and look over at the river. It is a peaceful feeling.

Amy (15) has been taking her summer dance workshops the last few weeks. But she has been showing signs of heat exhaustion, so she couldn't go to class yesterday and she won't make it to the last class of the summer this evening. She is too tired and weak to care. But I know it bothers her. We have plenty of iced tea, fruit punch, juice, water, Popsicles, ice cream and creamsicles to keep her happy for a few days while she recovers.

This will be a lovely day, despite the heat. When things get rough and we mothers have to work through exhaustion, we become the heroes of our families. No matter how tired mother is, she still has that sweet look on her face while sacrificing her own wants to care for her family. It is the ultimate happiness that brings her joy. And when her homemaking work is finished, she enjoys a precious break and delights in her family.

I have been laughing a lot at the trials we've been going through. Laughter seems to give us strength.  Sometimes when things get so bad, all you can do is laugh. Years ago, when my children were little and I was bedridden and recovering from cancer. I had 4 sweet children lined up beside me with complaints. The newborn baby was at my side while I listened to each child share a grievance. Do you remember how cute a 2 year old's stories can be? Or how they try to sound just like the 9 year old? Well, they were all so upset and wanted justice. I just started laughing. What else could I do? I apologized and saw the puzzled looks on their faces, but I was so amused by such trials. Things were so overwhelming and no one was there to help me with the house, cooking or the care of all these children while I was recovering from a dangerous illness. I had to laugh. Somehow we got through it.

That reminds me of when we had only 2 children. I was expecting baby number three and we had this beat up old car. The doors wouldn't open. (smiles) We would climb in and out of the window. Mr. White and I would hand one of the children to each other to get them buckled in their seats! The girls were ages 3 and 2 at the time. They were so much fun and such pretty sweethearts. I had them all dressed up all the time in the cutest dresses and hair ribbons. I was always able to find pretty dresses for little money. But we sure had dignity, even when we were climbing in and out of the car windows!  We just had to laugh.

If you are going through trials today, perhaps it is financial, or family issues, please try to find some humor. Laughter is the best medicine. We know that sometimes weeping endures for a night, but joy comes in the morning.

Blessings
Mrs. White

Read about my Chalkboard Prayers.

I find encouragement from My Prayer Journal.

I have a witness and evidence for my children in Recording the Family Bible Study.

How a cute 2 year old memorized the Ten Commandments in Commandments Before Playing. 


Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark



7 comments:

Renee said...

You are so right we need to make light of many of our trials...our air conditioner went out on us yesterday one of the hottest days of the year it was over 90.....but it was only a inconvenience. It is now fixed and we are cool. We could have been very upset but why?

There are so many others that do not ever have air conditioning...we are blessed! We had to go without it for a few days? We could have made it a huge deal we were hot....but it was only a very small trial:)

Great Post!!!

Renee

Debbie said...

I love the "picture" of you climbing through your car windows and passed the children through! So funny! Thank you for reminding me of the need to be sweet and light hearted in any situation.

Dee said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that you've received a Blog of Substance award from me! You can check it out at my blogger at chosenthatgoodpart.blogspot.com

Dee :)

Deborah said...

Laughter does good like a medicine..you are a sweetie

xo Deborah :)

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Laughter truly is wonderful medicine that makes the most difficult times easier to handle.

I had to chuckle at the image of you and the kids climbing in and out of the car while all dolled up. **grin**

Have a blessed evening.

Lorie said...

Thank you for this reminder! I used to laugh my way through many trials. It seems lately I have started to loose my sense of humor. I will definitely work on this!

Thank you!!

Laura Lane said...

We had a van in very similar condition. Luckily the front doors opened, but we had a big cooler behind the driver's seat, because the back of the seat just fell down without it! I was determined to drive it for 5 years. I never knew if I could make it, because my son totalled it while driving to school. That began a very long period of having no car.

Be blessed,
Laura

Related Posts with Thumbnails