Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Domestically Challenged

Simple Pleasures


                 -  Teaching Home Economics to Daughters -



This post is part of an ongoing series to give you an inside look at what I am doing to teach my 15 year old daughter (Amy) the art of homemaking skills. I will also share stories and memories of how I taught my older daughters (currently ages 21 and 22). You can expect to see these posts every Tuesday, here at The Legacy of Home.

Category - General -Cleaning.

When Nicole (now 21) was in the fourth grade, I started to worry about her abilities in the home arts. She was not cleaning well enough.  The dishes were dirty, even after she washed them. (smiles). The floor looked like there were more crumbs that when she started sweeping. It was not going well. Somehow, I got it into my head that she must have a vision problem. I took her to an optometrist who confirmed my suspicion. Nicole was given a shiny new pair of glasses and all was well... or was it?

For the next several years, Nicole struggled to do a good job with housekeeping. I ended up giving her the tasks of organizing and doing laundry. She worked quickly and efficiently and developed great skills in keeping everything together. Everything, that is, except the kitchen. (smiles) She was not able to clean the kitchen well enough, so she spent most of her time cuddled up with stacks of library books. I also gave her the morning shift. (It was the easiest part of the day.) What was the morning shift? That was her scheduled chore time. She had the honored title of Breakfast Hostess. 

Her attempts at baking were adorable. She tried to make a homemade coffee cake a few times. She had this huge smile on her face. She wouldn't let anyone in the kitchen to get in her way. Once the cake was cooled, she served each of us a piece. When I tasted it, I didn't want to say anything negative, but said hopefully, "Have you tried it?"  She looked a little downcast after she tasted it. But her sense of humor was charming. She just laughed. No one wanted to eat the cake.

I decided to buy Pillsbury quick bread mixes. Nicole became a skilled baker using this box mix! Whenever I bought it, I would say, "this is for Nicole to make." No one was allowed near it because it was only for her to make. She did a fabulous job.

Fast forward several more years. Nicole eventually learned to scramble eggs, and make toast (okay, that is an exaggeration - she could always make toast! - smiles). The sad part is, her eyesight failed more and more over time. One of her new doctors mentioned how she was nearly blind!! Ahhh, it all made sense. No wonder my precious girl couldn't clean the kitchen very well!! She couldn't clean those little crumbs or wash the tiny specks on the dishes, because she could never see them! Even with a strong prescription lens, she struggled to see.

Today, at 21, she has learned to live with this handicap and has made tremendous progress in her homemaking skills.  But just in case, we have always prayed she would marry a nice man who knows how to cook.

Blessings
Mrs. White

Such good children in Cupcakes on a Tea Plate and Mom is a Guest.


When I get Desperate, I need my Chalkboard Prayers.


You will love this - How to Teach a 2 year old to Clean.



Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark


1 comments:

mommyx12 said...

Not for daughters only!! I too am domestically challenged. Just ask my family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails