Sunday, August 1, 2010

House Account (Month Three)



House Account Monthly is a Meme for Prudent Homemakers, which I host on the first of each month. Find out more about it and then come back to read my check-in.

1. Did you record all your spending this month?

YES.

2. What are your goals for keeping a ledger? 

I want a permanent record of our family's spending. I also want my children to learn how to manage money.

3. Do you have a success story to share?

I am really enjoying writing everything down. I have also looked back at the past two months and compared expenses.

4. (Optional) How are your children doing with this? Any cute sayings from them, or progress in their financial education? 


I was planning to show Amy (15) how to keep my account book, but I never did get around to it. Instead, John (13) is still doing my bookkeeping. He does a fabulous job. He sits at the kitchen table, with my receipts, check-book (to see my debit card transactions) and ledger book. Then he writes everything down for me. Every so often, he questions my spending. (smiles). He will say things like, "Mom, Why did you go to this store twice in one day??"

5. Any helpful resources you've found? (such as a website, link to an article, or book)

I have a charming, nostalgic book in my home library, "The American Frugal Housewife," written by Lydia Maria Child. It was originally published in the 1800's.  I love this book!


6. Were you able to put aside some savings this month? 

Yes.

7. Comments or Thoughts?


I watched several episodes of I Love Lucy during the last few weeks. It was common for Lucy to have her own house account. She even had a book to record her spending! I would love to find more examples of housewives, from history, keeping track of their spending.

How About You?

Are you keeping track of your finances in an old fashioned ledger book? I'd love to see how you did last month. Please share your link in the comments section.

Blessings,
Mrs. White

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

alecat said...

I jumped aboard and posted my first blog entry.
http://serenadesandsolace.blogspot.com/2010/08/house-account-monthly-august.html

Catherine (aka alecat)

Lorie said...

Here is my entry:

http://praiseinthegates.blogspot.com/2010/08/house-account-monthly-june-records.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails