Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday's Front Porch Visit - Winter is coming and fun Trivia

Southern Grace



Come on over and join me on the front porch for our Monday visit! 

It's been raining and cold here in New England. My plan for this week is to pull out all of our winter clothes. I need to wash them all and make of list of what is missing. I know I will have to buy at least one new coat and some boots. We also need gloves for everyone. I need to get our extra blankets ready. Fall is such a nice time of year. The trees look amazing in Vermont. Even though it is only August, I've already heard rumors about leaves turning orange!

In a few weeks, I'll have to start thinking about buying wood pellets for our stove. I can't wait to have a nice, warm cozy house all winter long! I will do a lot of baking and enjoy the sights of snowy days out the window! The children will have a great time playing out there, shoveling, building snowmen and sledding.

I do most of my sewing in the winter months. I have been wanting some new skirts for the winter. I prefer ankle length. Most of my good skirts have worn down to nothing. I need to replace them. I used to order most of my clothes from Chadwicks of Boston. I need to start ordering things through the mail again. It is so much easier to simply pick a color, size, and style without having to search through a store. Right now, I don't have any extra money for skirts, so I will have to make some. I have a pretty stretch denim fabric in olive green. I started on that skirt a few days ago. It will have a small elastic waist and a ruffle on the bottom. It is the easiest kind of skirt to make - no zipper or buttons. I will have Amy (15) help me. I also have a pretty dark blue corduroy fabric. That skirt shouldn't take me long at all. It is just a basic, ankle length with nothing fancy. It also has an elastic waist. When I am finished with those projects, I will begin working on some quilts, using scrap material. Amy and I will keep a "work-basket" in the living room and work on the quilts while we chat and catch up on family news! We will have a delightful winter!

It may seem strange to begin planning winter in August, but that is what life is like here in Vermont - Cold! (smiles)

I have some trivia for you. Yesterday, I walked up to Nicole (21) (My college girl), and asked her a question. I wanted a straight answer, without thinking. She did not let me down. She gave me the correct answer without hesitating. I told her she was my hero. Now I am going to ask you the same question. It is a straight question. There will be no hints. I am not going to explain the question. You will either know the answer instantly, or you won't know it at all. Are you ready?

Question - What did Atticus do for a living?

Please leave your answer in a comment. I will not put the comments through until tonight, so that anyone can participate without seeing the answer from someone else. I can't wait to see how many heroes I have for readers (smiles). Now remember, don't look this up! You either know it instantly, or you don't!

Can't wait to hear from you!

Now we need to get off this porch, and get some housework done! Have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Mrs. White

Creating An Old Fashioned Parlor.


My Living on Faith Marriage.


So much to learn from The 1940's House.


Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

19 comments:

Beth West www.northernskyart.wordpress.com said...

LOL, I "instantly" asked my son, the history buff, who was standing by me when I read your question. He asked me "Which one?" at which point I googled Atticus and found that there are indeed several. So - which one :)

Amy said...

He was a lawyer.

Nancy said...

Lawyer!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

joyce said...

First, I'll answer your trivia question. The first thing I thought of was the book, To Kill a Mockingbird," and the Atticus of that novel. He was a lawyer, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure Vermont is beautiful. It seems so strange for anyone to be talking about WINTER already! Here in Florida, it's been in the 90's and is hot early in the morning. It's too hot for me to get out, most days. I run my AC practically year 'round. We have a few cold days in the winter months, and last year, we had several cold spells with frosts and freezes. No snow, though. I complain about the heat, but still, I am used to this climate, an I wouldn't want to change. I'll bet you feel the same.
The cold, snowy weather makes Vermont seem homey and cozy, somehow, in the winters. I don't own a winter hat, boots, or a pair of gloves or mittens. I have a few fleece jackets, but nothing heavy. If it gets really cold, I layer up with a sweater underneath my fleece. I think sometimes of moving back to Alabama now that I'm retired, but I don't know if I could take the cold weather in the winter. Seriously. LOL.

Your new skirts sound nice and comfy for the fall.

Enjoy your day.

Anonymous said...

He was a lawyer in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird- played by Gregory Peck. I read the book and my older children saw the movie. We didn't discuss it much. The scene in the balcony when Atticus walks by came to mind with your question.-Taryn

Homequeen said...

Atticus Finch was an attorney or a lawyer.

Anonymous said...

He was a lawyer. Great show! I love To Kill a Mockingbird.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Vicki said...

Atticus Finch was a lawyer!

HillaryM said...

Oooh! Ooooh! I know! He was a lawyer. One of my favorite books and movies.
Thanks for the fun question.

Anonymous said...

He was a lawyer.

:),
HveHope

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. White,

Now about the beautiful sewing creations you have fashioned... is it possible for those of us not on facebook or other social media to see your aprons, skirts, etc. here on the blog? I no nothing of cyber-techno-stuff so perhaps that is too difficult. Also, I know I have meant to ask this for some time and now don't remember if I've already asked this or not (whoops! sheepish smile).

Just a thought...

Grateful for this promise (Gen 28:15) to dwell upon,
HveHope *-:¦:-
-:¦:-¸¸.·´*
(Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go...For I will not leave you
until I have done what I have promised you... Gen 28:15). WOW.

eyelandgirl said...

First thing that came to my mind: Atticus Finch was the lawyer in the novel "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Freedom Acres Farm said...

Do you make your own patterns for the skirts or do you have a favorite one in the style you described? I'm always looking for new skirt patterns :-)

Dee said...

He was a lawyer...I'm hoping this was not a trick question. ;)

Dee

Mrs. White said...

I have tons of heroes!!

Yes, it was Atticus Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird" and he was a lawyer!

I love that so many of you got that answer "instantly." (smiles)

Thanks so much!!!!

Mrs. White said...

Oh, about my skirts. I will write about them soon and share pictures. It is my own pattern. Something simple and easy.

Tami said...

he was a lawyer!!

Deanna said...

Dear Mrs. White, I have not been so much on the computer as of late because of recouping from surgery, but I was going to say he was an attorney from the Book TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD. This is one of my all time favorite films.

Your Winter sounds wonderful! I think cooler weather here will be wonderful. Our heat index has been outragious and it's time to cool off.

I am so hoping that I feel like a new woman this Fall and can do lots of cooking, cleaning and sewing.

Thank you for your sweet prayers. Appreciate you,
d

Anonymous said...

I just asked my 17-year-old son on his way out to work- "Quick,what did Atticus do for a living?" He looked at me with a strange look and said,"A lawyer- that was the whole point of the movie!" He thought I forgot- then I told him about your question.- Taryn

Related Posts with Thumbnails