Thursday, September 30, 2010

Our Annual - No TV Month - Starts Tomorrow

Children of the Waidmann Family Intently Watching TV in Living Room at Home


The children and I unplug, and put aside, the television set for the entire month of October. We won't even be watching DVD's or videos. (No more I Love Lucy DVDs for me!) Why do we do this?  The programming and commercials during this month center around Halloween. We don't want any part of it, so we shut off the set completely.  This is our No TV Month.

I announced this to the children a few days ago with a fun plan to keep them motivated. I will pay them each 50 cents a day for NOT watching any TV. They will save up their money and use it to buy gifts in December.

To make things even more exciting, I will be paying them to do 2 extra chores each day, (using our chore cards) for 25 cents per chore. This will provide them with $1 a day. By the end of the month, the children will be rich! (smiles)

This month is like a cleansing for us. It pulls us out of bad habits and helps us back-away from worldliness. We will be doing much more reading, playing games, and living more simply.

The last few years I've done this with the children, I've spent far more time in Bible study and reading good spiritual books. I don't normally watch much television to begin with, but lately, I have been watching too much.

I would love to hear from those of you who never watch Television or Videos of any kind. What is your day normally like?

If you want to join us for No TV Month, please let me know! I'd love to hear how it's going for you and what your plans are.

Blessings
Mrs. White

For those with little ones at home - Keeping House with Small Children.

Are you Wondering? - What Makes a Virtuous Woman.

It is time to relax and have a - Parlor Visit.


Homeschooling - Books - Oxford - Reading Lists - and Swagbucks

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

15 comments:

Kimberly Kovach said...

What a wonderful idea. I could never do that with football season happening. Fortunately, we really don't watch much TV, but think you are exactly right. Especially about this time of year. Thanks for sharing.

Crystal said...

I could make it a month I'm not big on T.V but with football season my husband could never do it either.
Sounds like some great family time and that is great. Following from the Friday hops.
~Crystal
www.3PrincesandaPrincess2.com

My Baby's Green said...

How exciting! I now follow you on GFC-please follow me back :)
www.mybabysgreenblog.com

Hanna said...

Hi there. I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop! Lovely blog!! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Taryn said...

We don't celebrate Halloween either. It amazes me how many Christians do and how many watch TV Christian women/men celebrities who do. October is such a beautiful month here on Long Island.

Nan said...

I am now following you thanks to Friendly Friday,
and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
http://theblogfrog-nan.blogspot.com

Taryn said...

I would miss watching the Duggars if we didn't have TV-and they don't have a TV. We have 4 sons-3 are football fans. We aren't Mennonites who don't believe in sports but I have read their literature on it-and it makes sense. I didn't have to discourage my 2 daughters from getting involved in sports- they aren't interested. I do watch Jeopardy- and catch their subtle evolution questions and answers. Neil Postman's book- Amusing Ourselves to Death is great.


















d

Cindy @ Fenced in Family said...

Oh, this is such a great idea, Mrs. White! We don't have a television, but we do watch videos on YouTube or Netflix. The kids also play computer games on various websites (HotWheels, etc.). The idea of an entire month without videos or computer games is appealing. I couldn't start right now (they'd hang me), but I am going to give this some serious thought for another month. Or we could start with just a week. Thank you so much for the idea.

Mrs. White said...

Thanks Cindy!! Let me know it goes if you are able to do this! I'd love all the ideas and support I can get!

Kimberly, is football in October?

Thanks Taryn! I know what you mean.

Thanks to all my new followers!

Heather said...

Good idea.
I did this while I was a single mom. Mainly because I couldn't afford a new tv OR cable.

We didn't miss it. We played outside after school. We read. We drove Hot Wheels cars around the living room.

I would still like to do it and the t.v. stays off until my husband and oldest get home!

I am eager to see what all you do. Great incentives too!

Self Sagacity said...

Those are all good incentives. Hope it works-out for you.

Anonymous said...

The only thing we watch is the weather, Andy Griffin, and Sunday afternoon football:)

We don't watch much T.V there are too many other things to do:)

This is my knitting weather...I would like to make many of my Christmas gifts this year...are you making any thing special for Christmas Mrs. White?


Renee

The Momma Chronicles said...

A friend of mine instituted a "No Screens Sunday" rule in her home. Maybe start your "fast" on a smaller scale with one day per week? After a time, move it up to two days?

Thank you! for knowing about Halloween. I too am shocked at the number of Christians who celebrate it, and are offended when given Biblical evidence regarding the evils of that day. I'm in the minority at my church, and considered "militant and extreme" because of my refusal to celebrate Satan's high holy day.

Anonymous said...

We aren't hooked up to tv anyway, but do watch tv reruns or movies in the evenings for family time. My husband has dementia and the stimulation seems good for him. Halloween is one of those holidays that were so innocent and sweet when I was a girl and had nothing to do with what's actually behind it, but of course now we don't partake! :)

Debby said...

I lived for several years without a tv... before marriage. I loved it.

New follower. Hope you can visit: http://deal-liciousdebby.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails