Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review - Salem Ridge Press

{Cover of one of the books I received}
TOS Crew Review

Product - Reprinted Christian Children's Books from the 1800's and early 1900's.

Company - Salem Ridge Press

I received 3 books as a sampling of their offerings, from this company:

1. "From Bondage to Freedom" by Emma Leslie (Paperback, 272 pages) Originally published in 1877.

2. "Marie's Home" by Caroline Austin (E-book, 110 pages)  Originally published in 1885.

3. "Before the Dawn - A Tale of Wycliffe and Huss" by Emma Leslie (E-book 148 pages) Originally published in 1880.

I am so impressed with this company. They have taken the best of historic fiction from 100 + years ago, and brought them back to life. The editor has carefully removed any immodest images to protect the purity of readers. They have also made minor/ slight adjustments to the text to keep the stories pure and wholesome.  They stand behind each book they publish and I am so happy with their careful attention to detail.

Let me just explain how important it is to lightly edit an original piece of literature (from another century). Several years ago, I obtained a 1700's edition of a Religious Children's book written by Cotton Mather and James Janeway. I transcribed and published this entire document. But first I did light editing to remove frightening and mildly graphic wording to protect readers. I wanted it to be spiritually nourishing, educational and wholesome. Very minor changes were needed in order for this to happen.  This is exactly what Daniel Mills (publisher of Salem Ridge Press) has done with his line of books.

I have found the sampling of books to be extremely high quality literature. There is no fluff. These were written by true writers from a time period when authors were highly educated. As an example, Emma Leslie, author of "From Bondage to Freedom," lived in the south of England. She wrote over 100 books, many of which were published by The Religious Tract Society. We are all fully aware of the quality of excellent literature which has come from British Authors, and Emma's books are a delightful find!

I would love to have an entire Library of Salem Ridge Press books and would be thrilled to read every single one of them. I find them to be highly educational, beautifully written, and spiritually inspiring.   They contain a precious wholesomeness which is hard to find in this day and age. 


To find out more about my homeschool reviews, please visit "Introduction to our Homeschool Parlor"

*I received these books from Salem Ridge Press, for review purposes through The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Crew*

Homeschooling - Books - Oxford - Reading Lists - and Swagbucks

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi! I came by to see what you thought of Salem Press-I figured you would like them:)I thought my book was great. I love how you phrased your review, it is so clear! Take care, Heather

Heather said...

Hi! I came by to see what you thought of Salem Press-I figured you would like them:)I thought my book was great. I love how you phrased your review, it is so clear! Take care, Heather

Related Posts with Thumbnails