Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sorrowing in the Kitchen

The Kitchen


Every so often, when my health is frail, I cannot keep up with my housework. My kitchen bothers me the most. I will give instructions to the children and they do only the very basics. . .  But the kitchen is not clean.

This often brings tears to my eyes when I am well again. I go sorrowing in the kitchen. I will clean and scrub the neglected spots. There are spills everywhere. There are crumbs stuck to bread bags. There are dirty dishes from other rooms brought in too late. The mess causes mourning in my soul.

I think of the 1940's housewives. These capable women were competent and talented in their craft of keeping a home. Their kitchens were safe and sanitary. They would shoo the younger ones out because they were not ready for the honor of working in a kitchen.

Once a child has proven herself a hard and honest worker, she was allowed in the kitchen. It is like the finest chefs in the world - who keep a clean work environment, even while they prepare their foods.

I hold my head up and say to my 2 youngest, "take pride in your work."  I smile. "This is your home. Your work shows who you are."

I have my helpers  work beside me. We smile. We get the kitchen clean again. There is cheer and rainbows brightening our lives.   Home is a joyful place to be.

Then we bake a cake, and enjoy  a happy evening. Mama is well and everything is okay again.

Blessings
Mrs. White

When Illness Strikes - A Hospital in the Home.

My Retreat - It's Time to Settle Down into a Cozy Home.

Sweet Encouragement for you - A Mother's Legacy.


Homeschooling - Books - Oxford - Reading Lists - and Swagbucks

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Deanna said...

Dear Mrs. White,
I am so sorry that there are those days where the kitchen just isn't as clean as you wish. These can be uncomfortable times.

I know first hand having a dirty kitchen, piles of laundry to do, all the rooms look messed up, need dusted and vacuumed, papers to tend to, bills needing paid, etc.

It's disheartening. I have to focus on what I can do and pray.

I found out today that the cancer had not spread to the lymph nodes!!!!! I am soooooo relieved. Thank you for your prayers.

God bless you!
d from homehaven

God bless you and may he give you great strength.

Related Posts with Thumbnails