Friday, October 29, 2010

Safe and Happy at Home

Tea Time






There are several things going on right now that are distracting me. It is hard to focus on just home. I was thinking about when I was a young mother with babies. I used to walk several miles to the house of my sister-in-law so we could visit. She had one child who was the same age as my oldest ( around 4 years old at the time). I would bring a radio flyer wagon with me so my two girls could ride or pull as they wished. Rachel was 4 and Nicole was 3. I was also expecting Matthew (who is now 17). Life was so simple in those days. I had my daily routine. We lived near the beach and it was just beautiful!

I would walk all those miles so the children could get plenty of exercise and fresh air. Then I would sit and have tea with my sister-in-law and we would talk for hours about homemaking while our children played. Then I would walk all the way back home. My girls loved the adventure. They would giggle and smile and chatter away.

By the time we got home, it would be late afternoon. They would play quietly while I made supper. We knew Dad would be home soon and we all wanted to rest and enjoy our time at home.

I love those old routines. Right now, I have to drive the children places and do errands. This just happens when you have teenagers and older children. I am teaching one to drive, and getting ready to teach another one to drive. There is always something we need to do that is not "home related."

It takes a tremendous amount of effort for me to push all those extra worries and activities out of my mind so I can create a home here. I love to clean and bake and cook and need to focus! I need to just shut the door, close the shades and make this precious home a happy place!

I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend!

Blessing
Mrs. White

Making the Effort No Matter what it Cost me.

What happened when I didn't know what was for supper - A Place they Want to Come Home to.

Life as a 1950's Housewife.



Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Cathy said...

That's exactly the way I feel, safe and happy at home :-) My children are getting older now too, and there are places to go and things to do. But the best place in the world, the place I'd rather be more than anywhere else, is home!

Lady Rose said...

Mrs. White,

First, I wanted to thank you for coming by my blog and paying me a visit. That was very kind of you. :)

Now, onto your blog post entry. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time in your life. It seems that all of us women seem to go through some difficult or trying time that leads us to distractions. At any rate, I pray that you can get through these times without too much stress.

Blessings,

-Lady Rose

P.S. I hope that you will "visit" me again in the near future.

Beth West www.northernskyart.wordpress.com said...

Yes, things seem to get more hairy with teenagers! We're starting driver's ed w/our 15 yo monday and I'm dreading it! 3 weeks, 3 or more days a week driving 2x a day into Belfast (30 m. away). Then there's orthodontia (45 m. away). I've never been very good at maintaining a routine, but all the driving around makes it even more challenging. This is our 4th child to go through driver's ed. Only 4 more to go after this :)

Barbara said...

Thanks for visiting and following. I am following you, too.

My kids are grow, married and now I have grandkids and they are the best thing in the world. Don't give up on the good things. More are yet to come.

Plain and Joyful Living said...

so glad to have found your space here - I pray you find peace even when life can seem like it is in turmoil.

We have a wide age range - from 2 - 16 years (6 children so far) and are experiencing a wide spectrum of life's daily routines.

Warm wishes for a beautiful day,
Tonya

Stam House said...

our little one are 3, almost 2 and 5 months ad we are home most of the time, I like it so much that I hardly go out.

I love our routine, play and leaning time, the freedom to babe cookies just because!

This post just made me appreciate the privilege that I have even more!

Have yourself a slow and wonderful weekend!

Laura Lane said...

This sounds like my life for the last three years. Run run run. I don't like it. With the van broken, I am home more than ever. I like it. I do wish I could go to the store when I need to though.

Have a lovely week,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Related Posts with Thumbnails