Sunday, November 14, 2010

Family and Home

Present for Lindsey

I spent the last several days cleaning and organizing. There is something about decorating and keeping house that makes me happy. I love to vacuum and sweep floors.  I love to see sparkling glasses on the sideboard and shiny pans on the stove.

One of my older girls, Nicole (21) called from college the other day. She said she missed home so much and couldn't wait to get back here!  She said, in her sweet little voice, "I Love you Mommy!" When I got off the phone, I had tears in my eyes.

Last night, when I picked up Matthew (17) from work, I told him all about the food I had waiting for him back at home. "I made baked ziti with meat sauce and I also made Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo." He thought that sounded good, but he still likes to stop at McDonalds for a "snack"!  Sometimes,  I like to make more than one supper and save the extra for the next day. It makes for a restful weekend.  I am thankful for our microwave which has made life so much easier for all of us.


We are planning our Thanksgiving dinner! All the children will be home and we will have a delightful meal with Nana and Grandpa.  I have already started buying things - like ice cream - to put aside for that special day. I am waiting for apple pies and pumpkin pies to go on sale. I think I will have Amy (15) bake a pumpkin pie too, just for the experience. It is her favorite kind.

On Friday, I wrote a letter to Rachel (22), my oldest.  I also sent her a special book - Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. She will be so excited to receive this small package and letter from Mama!   We talk on the phone almost every day, but it is such a delight to write encouraging letters back and forth. We often talk about the foods we are making and other housekeeping joys!

About a month ago, Rachel asked me for some devotional books. I had to look through my bookcase to find just the right one. She needed something encouraging, that would inspire her and give her little bits of godly wisdom in the short time she has for reading.  I found Amish Proverbs to be the best choice for her. It is full of precious words and lovely photographs. I gave this book to her a couple of weeks ago and she said she reads it everyday and loves it. It is just perfect for her.

My children seem to be scattered all around. One of the things I long to do is have them all here, at the same time, and go to Church with me.  I wish we lived closer. But for now, I will make-do with long distance phone calls and letters to encourage them.

I also have to remember to encourage those who are still here at home. It is a daily battle with my moods to remain cheerful and patient all the time. That is why I love these early morning visits and also my quiet Bible studies. They give me strength and keep me going. The children need a happy mother so they feel loved and wanted and needed.

It is almost 6 a.m. There is a cozy fire in the wood stove. It is dark outside. Yet, I am wide awake. I think I will go and have some hot chocolate and read from "More Love to Thee" The Life and Letters of Elizabeth Prentiss (1800's). I have been reading this massive gem of a book for the last few weeks and I love it!

Have a lovely Sunday!

blessings
Mrs. White

A Vintage picture of my older girls - and home economics - Suppertime with Precious Helpers.

Stories of Home Culture -  Sermons and the Godly Home

Loving Home - Taking a Break from my Housework.

An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

Our Homeschool Reviews said...

I love reading your posts! We have Thanksgiving here at our house each year, and although all of our immediate family lives in town, it is nice to have both sides here at the same time. Hope you have a nice Sunday!

maria said...

Thank you for this post!

M.

Amy said...

Thank you for the wonderful post! I am inspired by how close you are to all your children--even the ones who have already moved away. I hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving! www.ohsosavvymom.com

Taryn said...

Sense and Sensibility is my favorite Jane Austen book. I cry at the end of the movie(the one with Kate Winslet) every time. I don't like her other books. It's a good book for homeschooling-12th grade British Literature. After church I made lasagna for supper- someone told me I don't have to boil the noodles-just lay them in a pan with hot water for 20 minutes. I bake my own pumpkin pies because we don't like pumpkin spice or nutmeg. Speaking of movies- I enjoyed a Christian movie this week- Hidden Secrets with Jon Schnieder(2006)- I laughed out loud a few times. I haven't liked many "Christian" movies. It's called a dramady(?).

Mrs. Stam said...

I love this post, home is a beautiful place to be, Now I miss my Mama!!

Rebecca said...

I always love your peaceful posts. We have Thanksgiving here, too. It's wonderful to read about your children....keeps me focused on the future ,while enjoying the present.
Dropping by again from the HHH.

Annika said...

Hi, I'm stopping by from HHH. Beautiful post. It sounds like you have a wonderful family!

Related Posts with Thumbnails