Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Home and Family

Swan Cottage II


Yesterday, I went on a long journey. I left at 10:30 in the morning and got home after 8 pm. I took Amy (15) and John (13) along for the drive. [Matthew (17) had to work.] We went all the way into the city to pick up Nicole (21) from College.

Vermont country roads are scenic and lovely. Sometimes, when one is in a rush, it is hard to notice the pretty landscape. I tried to make the most of the trip and enjoy it as much as possible. Long drives are very difficult!

I packed snack-bags for the children. These included crackers, peanut butter, fruit-roll ups (a review item from General Mills), frosted animal crackers and plain donuts! We each bought a drink on our way out and were ready to go!

Once we arrived at the school, I parked in front of Nicole's residence hall to wait for her.  I thought she had a class and we could see her walk by, so we waited in the car.

There were students with luggage heading out of the buildings, meeting family for the drive home. It is Thanksgiving break! I am sure they will be so excited to get home for awhile!

As I was sitting there, thinking about home, I heard an excited voice call out, "Oh my ----!! It's Colie's Mom!!'  I quickly turned and saw a girl on the front porch with her Mother. I waved. She motioned for me to come with her. The children and I got out of the car. I heard her say, "Colie has been talking about you all day. She keeps saying, 'I can't wait to see my Mom!'  Come on and we'll surprise her!"

I didn't know she was already upstairs in the building! It turned out this girl was Nicole's roommate. She must have recognized me from Nicole's pictures on her dorm wall.

We went upstairs and Nicole came around the corner. She was thrilled to see me and I gave her a hug and said, "My baby!!"

We had a delightful drive home. There was no radio reception for some odd reason. So the girls sang all kinds of songs, most of the way home. When I got tired of hearing their modern music, Nicole started singing some Frank Sinatra for me. I was grateful.

Tonight, My other baby will be home. Rachel is my oldest at 22. She is bringing her Fiance. We will have a lovely visit!

I still have a lot of joyful cleaning to do. It is joyful because I LOVE home. I love to make this an inviting place. I will set the table for a simple supper tonight. We will play some cards and chat and laugh. We will drink iced tea and eat cookies. Then we will watch a family movie and get ready for a precious Thanksgiving at home with the whole family!

blessings
Mrs. White

My Favorite Place - Staying Home at the Estate

I Love to do this - Rising While it is Yet Night

Careful Stocking and Planning of Food - Kitchen Inventory - The Pantry


Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Teresa said...

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! I know you love them all a lot!!

Carmen said...

Such a sweet excitement when you know you are loved! Happy THanksgiving.

busymomof10 said...

I sure feel your excitement and can identify! It sounds so cozy and wonderful! A big family thanksgiving at home!

My oldest daughter is here . . . but sadly, my second oldest could not come because she only had Thanksgiving Day off from work. Two of my sons had their girlfriends here too. We had a great day!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails