Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Review - Devotions for the God Girl

Book - Devotions for the God Girl - a 365 Day Journey by Hayley DiMarco

Publisher - Revell

The whole idea of a devotional book for teenage girls is fabulous. I wanted this book for my 15 year old daughter. It is hardcover and pretty. I read the introductory section and loved it. It was exactly what I had been looking for. However, once I started reading the actual devotions, I was a bit disappointed. It seems the author chose subject-lines like legalism, the test of your faith, depression, prayer, sacrifice, etc. While these sound like great topics, the way she writes the devotions only left me depressed. I want my daughter to feel encouraged and feel like she has spent a joyful, uplifting time in her devotions. These seem a bit too typical of trying to teach things readers already know. I didn't find anything challenging. I didn't find anything encouraging. Each passage began with a Bible verse. Then we find a key phrase, which is highlighted in bold lettering. (This phrase was often some catchy term that seemed more like a trite saying that anything significant.) Then there is a lesson, or writing, about the verse. I think a different approach would have been better. I wish she had chosen stories and real life examples in each devotion, rather than what seemed like boring lectures. I suppose I may just be too picky, but I would not give this book to my daughter. It would depress her and make her dread doing devotions!

“Available October 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

*Disclosure - I received this book from the publisher for review purposes.* 

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home



Share/Bookmark


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails