Saturday, January 1, 2011

House Account (Month Eight)



House Account Monthly is a Meme for Prudent Homemakers, which I host on the first of each month. Find out more about it and then come back to read my check-in.


December:

For the first week, I recorded all expenses. Then the receipts piled up. But It didn't take me long to go through all of it. Despite an abundance of receipts, I didn't spent very much money at all. I was surprised!

One change I want to make is to try to shop on only one day each week. I normally do my shopping on Friday. But often go to the store for forgotten or needed items on a daily basis.

Yesterday, John (13) and I realized we were out of something. Instead of saying, "Oh, we will get that tomorrow!" I have learned to say, "We will wait until next Friday when we go back to the store again."

There is nothing wrong with going without and suffering little inconveniences.  I was thinking about my late Mother-in-law. I learned so much from observing her way of homemaking. She did not go out much. Her husband did the grocery shopping in their later years. So if she ran out of paper towels or some other item, she would write it on a note and leave it on the fridge. As the days went on, she would add to that list. On the regular shopping day, my father-in-law would buy what she needed. To me, this is significant. This is my goal for January 2011 and beyond.

I have also started a little savings plan. I will put aside a small amount each week. It will be a very small amount and I will be consistent about it. At the very least, it will be $1. By the end of the year, I will have quite a sum of $52! I am sure I can save more than that, but this is my minimum goal for this year. I am quite sure I will not miss $1 a week!


- How About You?

Are you keeping track of your finances in an old fashioned ledger book? I'd love to see how you did last month. Please share your thoughts, or a link to your blog post,  in the comments section.

Blessings,
Mrs. White

Read my complete History of House Account Monthly.

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home

Share/Bookmark



5 comments:

joyce said...

Good for you! Your savings plan sounds good. I save up loose change. Every once in awhile, I'll take all the coins from my purse and put it in a special place. I'll find coins around the house, in my pockets, in the car, on the street, etc. and I save it. My bank accepts the loose change and doesn't charge to count it. Once, I cashed in my stash and I had $87 dollars! I don't remember how long I'd saved, but it was a pleasant surprise that those pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters added up into big dollars.

Briana said...

We started budgeting together last month. This month we were ahead after a disaster last month! I have gone back to only shopping once a week and it does make you more creative in the kitchen when you run out of something.

I write our budget on paper in a binder and my husband puts one on the computer for his use.

Have fun building your savings!

aeljot said...

Thank you for sharing this idea. I'm going to start to write all my expenses. I did'n find any book for this in online shops in my country (I live in Poland) so I made it myself in Excel.
I think this idea is great because if I have to write down ALL my expenses then I will think more and be more thrifty doing my shopping.
I love your blog and your advices - thank you for it :)

Trace said...

I put together my Household Ledger book! In trying to be thrifty, I simply used a hardcover journal I had not ever used. I hand drew some columns with a pencil and ruler... I'll try and post a picture of it on my blog today.

I'm also rereading a wonderfully inspiring little book called The Storehouse Principle.. I own it and I tend to like to read it at the start of each year... and so this is motivating me as well to start saving regularly and building up my family's storehouses. Your blog is also a great encouragement! Thank you!

Trace said...

Here is a link to my post:
http://asformeandmyhome.blogspot.com/2011/01/household-ledger.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails