Tuesday, February 1, 2011

House Account (Month Nine)



House Account Monthly is a Meme for Prudent Homemakers, which I host on the first of each month. Find out more about it and then come back to read my check-in.

I started January off with good intentions. I kept track of most of my expenses, but let them pile up again. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot adjust to the fact that we NEED so much! I end up spending money on an almost daily basis. Is this just the way our current society is set up? Since we are always going somewhere - to a class, church event or dropping someone off at work, there is always a need to buy some extra food, or some other necessary item.

Are you able to stay home more and stay out of the stores? What ways have you organized you finances so you are not always buying something? I was thinking about making a large inventory sheet of every single thing we need - such as laundry detergent, dish washing liquid, bread, flour, etc and just check that over once a week to see what we are running low on. Perhaps that will help me not to run out of something.

Today, I will catch up on all my receipts and record them in my ledger book. Did I spend less this month than last? Yes. I know I did. That's a good thing. I did manage to save some money - even more than I had originally planned so that is wonderful!

One thing that I do to save money is to buy a canister of store brand ice tea mix (decaf.) and mix some with a gallon of spring water. The canister makes about 4 or more gallons of tea for the children. It really helps curb the thirst of teenagers!

- How About You?

What ideas do you have to save money? Are you keeping track of all your expenses in an old fashioned ledger book? I'd love to hear about it!


Please share your thoughts, or a link to your blog post,  in the comments section.

Blessings,
Mrs. White

Read my complete History of House Account Monthly.

Homeschooling - Books - Oxford - Reading Lists - and Swagbucks

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

C T said...

Some things I do that keep trips to the supermarket down to 1-2 per week: stockpile (I buy large amounts of the "good deals" and store most of it in the cellar/freezer), powdered milk (I buy milk, but use powdered milk to avoid having to run to the store for more milk all the time), and cooking with what I have (rather than deciding to make something then going to buy the ingredients for it).

Anonymous said...

This was the first month I have kept track of my spending in far too long. I am glad to say I made it through the month without giving up. Now, my goal is to make next month's total less.
To minimize trips I do what the nice lady above wrote about but to aid my failing memory when I do go to the store I have a chalkboard in the kitchen and everytime I notice that we are getting low on something or that I have opened the last container of something I note it on the chalkboard so I don't forget it the next time I go to the store. I do one big shop a month and only one weekly the other weeks of the month. I save money that way since I seem to be able to resist everything but temptation:)

Anonymous said...

in my 31 years of marriage, i have always kept a running list. when i get low on something, i write it down.If i can't afford that week ,i still keep it on the list till the next week, if i am not needing it right away.sounds confusing, but has always worked for me. what is your average spending monthly on groceries,if i may ask? i am always curious of peoples food bills.thanks love your site.
becky

Anonymous said...

I am also learning to stock-pile and it has been fairly easy when my grocery store has great sales. I cleaned all my cabinets this past weekend and hope to add to my stock-pile the next big sale.

I try my best to keep track of all our spending...right now I am in the process of looking at our budget and down-sizing everything...cheaper cable, telephone ect... I have already saved 450.00 this month by changing our cable plan and our homeowners insurance. This will help in the future monthes.

I am really trying to cook as much at home eating our is way to expensive for us and we try to only do it on special nights.

Blessings to you Mrs. White

~Renee~

Related Posts with Thumbnails