Monday, February 7, 2011

Review - Vocab Ahead

TOS Crew Review

Product - One Thousand SAT Vocabulary videos and MP3s - DVD Rom (audio)

Publisher - Vocab Ahead

Price - $24.99

This product is designed to help students "learn new words and reinforce their learning." I put the DVD Rom into my computer. A narrator began speaking in a steady, pleasant voice. He said a vocabulary word, gave a definition, then used it in a couple of sentences and repeated the definition. He then went on to the next word and repeated the process. This went on and on and on. (smiles). You could play this while cleaning, drawing, writing, typing, surfing the internet or whatever you want and just listen and absorb the information. The package says you can use this on an MP3, Ipod, etc, but I have no idea how to do that, or what those are. Okay, I have seen MP3 players but they are still foreign objects to me!

After realizing that there are actually pictures on this DVD Rom, I opened the file through windows instead of media player. The first cartoon type picture was something I did not want to see. The word for this cartoon was "abject."  This is actually a "video" of sorts. The screen shows a cartoon image, then the words while the narrator talks. Honestly, I don't like this kind of resource. I would much rather read a book (or dictionary) without images in order to learn them.

I believe this product would work best for high school age students, or even adults. But please realize it is a secular resource and there may be examples of definitions (or images) that do not have Christian values.  This product is not something our family would use, but may work well for others. To find out more about this product and other resources by this company, please visit VocabAhead. 





To find out more about my homeschool reviews, please visit "Introduction to our Homeschool Parlor"

*I received  this product, for review purposes through The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Crew*


Homeschooling - Books - Oxford - Reading Lists - and Swagbucks

Subscribe to The Legacy of Home


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails