Sunday, May 8, 2011

Who I want to Be Like - Mother's Day Resolutions

A Young Mother Holds Her Little Girl in Her Arms

There are all kinds of Mother's Days. Some are lonely. Some are full of tears. Others are times to mourn a lost child or a mother. When the children are little, we often think Mother's Day is everyday! Those children bring us wilted flowers, pretty rocks and fill our apron pockets with sea shells or broken cookies. They show their love to us in an unselfish, innocent way. As the years go on, painful things happen to us. One year my Mother-in-law died. I never knew cemeteries were so crowded on Mother's Day. I didn't know you were supposed to bring flowers to the grave. It was a whole new, painful reality.

One year, things were so bad for me, that I created a lovely day for myself. I invited all my children home and made the day about them. I cooked delicious food and enjoyed their company. At other times, I was too tired. Today, I am reflecting on the need for change. I want to set a new tradition for myself - Mother's Day resolutions.

Who I want To Be Like -

 
1.  To consistently be an example and mentor of godly living.

 - Some Mothers get so busy with trials and needs, they struggle to go that extra mile in teaching holiness.

I want to be like Susanna Wesley. Her complete sacrifice of self to teach and train her children's souls for eternity is staggering.

2.  To stay constant in Prayer for my children.

- Some Mothers try to take on the whole burden of child rearing and forget where they can find help.

I want to be like Biblical Hannah. Her heart-wrenching prayers and tears were heard by the Master and her petition was granted.


3. To Prevent Severe Misery.

- Some Mothers who never, ever drink alcohol, have found themselves locked in their room. They sit there in the dark, weeping, with a bottle of wine and seriously consider how quickly death would come if they jumped into a river.

I want to be like Erma Bombeck.  Her humor through anguish and joy is astounding. She made light of painful days and soothed Mothers hearts everywhere.

4. To Find Peace and Laughter.

- Some Mothers get so caught up in today, that they forget to laugh and make jokes and have fun with their children. They forget you can act like this and still be a wonderful example of Motherhood.

 - I want to be like Ruth Bell Graham. Her unwavering commitment to her faith and her children is inspiring.

As I sit here, all dressed up for Church, I realize that being a successful mother is an almost impossible task. I fail daily.  Sometimes, I almost want to run away. But I love this job far too much to ever give up. There is only one place I can go to get through this - it is from an old hymn about the Lord, "I can't even walk without you holding my hand."

May I always remember where my strength comes. It will never come from me.

Have a happy Mother's Day!

Blessings
Mrs. White

Struggles at Home - Financial Survival in Hard Times.

Inspiration - Like the Mothers Before Me.

When the Nest is emptying - The Blessing of a Happy Marriage - Are you Still Tricking Your Wife?



An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always inspired when I read your posts. Great resolutions, many I will continue to strive for as well, especially praying for my children. Thank you for sharing your heart and for being vulnerable in your posts!

Julie

LaughingLioness said...

Really beautiful, Mrs. White! Ruth Bell Graham is on my list, too and Emra Bombeck really blessed the world with joy and laughter. GREAT post!

Kathy in Illinois said...

Happy Mother's Day, Mrs. White! You are a wonderful mother.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Illinois Lori said...

Amen to all! Very well said. Happy Mothers' Day to you! Package is on the way... :-)

Blessings,
Lori

Related Posts with Thumbnails