Saturday, June 18, 2011

Flowers from a Puritan's Garden


I took a little break from my housework yesterday. I stood near the bookcases and scanned all the books. I was looking for a treasure.  I wanted something to read that would nourish the soul. I spotted this book, "Flowers from a Puritan's Garden" by C.H. Spurgeon.  This beautiful book was originally published in 1883, and was inspired by the writings and sermons of Thomas Manton.  Spurgeon appreciated his work so much, he said, "Ministers who do not know Manton need not wonder if they are themselves unknown."

Inside, there are short little devotions. These are flowers - beautiful words, inspiring thoughts and a soul nourishing masterpiece.

I am off to spend some time in this literary garden.

Blessings
Mrs. White

PS - If you look very closely at this photograph, you will see I used a candy wrapper for a bookmark. 

From the Archives -

Coping with Financial trials - No Income and the Basics of Life.

Homeschooling - How My Children Learned Social Skills.

The work of Creating Beauty in the Home.



2 comments:

The Momma Chronicles said...

What a beautiful word picture you've just painted for us. Thank you!

Miz Liz said...

What a blessing to rest a while at your site, Mrs. White. Thank you for your comment at my praying chairs. My soul is trilled to get to know young mothers who love our LORD and love their calling. I'll come often to rest more. :-)