Friday, October 5, 2012

Shocked by Blessings

"Evening Picnic", August 18, 1951

I've had such a heavy burden hanging over me for such a long time. There are so many worries and they are all financial.  

Mr. White and I worry about our soaring heating costs here in Vermont. Each winter, the bills make one want to weep.   There is never enough money.

We have had car trouble and car repair bills. Our grown children are dealing with unemployment issues. Even though they seek out jobs and try so hard, there are no jobs.  They have their own bills to pay and food to buy.  Why is there no work in this country, for people who are willing to earn a living?

Our household has no debt - no credit cards and no car loans. Our only debt is our small mortgage. We live without Credit Cards.  We live simply. Our needs are minimal and include basic living  expenses - like food, heat, housing and clothes.  In this economy, we struggle even with this.

Trusting the Lord with these troubles is all we can do.  As a housewife, and the one in charge of the household funds, I work hard here at home - cleaning, cooking, and managing the money.  I do my part.  The rest of us do our own jobs.  We have to leave it in God's hands.

Yet, every now and then, something amazing happens to give me great joy and relief.  I have been praying all week about a car repair bill.  I begged the Lord to let it be less than $200. That was all the money I had.  Half of it came from this blog. The other half was what one of my children pitched in to help pay household expenses.  This morning the call came in. The bill was just as I had hoped! It was under the $200.  I almost cried.  What a blessing. I had been trying to figure out how I was going to pay it, had it been another hundred or two.  But now, my worry is gone.

Recently, a letter came in the mail from a blog reader.  It was so precious and sweet. The reader felt led to send me money.  I have no idea who this person was.  I had never even heard of them.  But the money they sent helped with our upcoming heating costs.  This was a shocking and unexpected blessing for which I will always be grateful.

When these kinds of things happen, pressure is lessened and we can smile more. We can go out for a walk, or have an ice cream with the children. We can laugh without hidden tears.  It frees us, and helps us understand who holds the real wealth.  We remember that He who watches over the sparrow, watches over us.

We still have many worries, as so many households do these days.   But these little blessings, these little miracles, keep us going and keep our faith strong.  We will be okay.  We will pray over each trial and we will wait on the Lord.

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -


Home as an Inviting Place - The Light in the Window.

Why is This? - No One Respects Homemaking Anymore.

What Would It Be Like? - If I Visit You at The Dinner Hour.



9 comments:

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I so understand the pressures that finances cause. I also understand trying to hide the tears under smiles. I thank God for the miraculous blessings He has sent to you.

Love to you from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He does love you.

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Janet said...

I praise God for these wonderful answers to prayer! Your blog is very precious to me. I'm so thankful for what God has done for one of my favorite writers.:)

M said...

Praising The Lord for your blessings, Mrs. White!! Your blog is a blessing to so many of us, it's wonderful to see you being blessed.
The days we live in at the moment are so very hard. So many struggles we face in this world, it is enough to break the heart and crush our spirit...this is the time when praying, faithful mamas need to be strong for the battle we face and encourage one another and pray like never before. Your writings give me so much encouragement and many days help to keep me pressing on. I cannot thank you enough for that. May our Lord continue to bless you.

Anonymous said...

YOur post made me weep-I do know how it feels to struggle and feel the fear of not having enough to pay something, But God is faithful and may He continue to bless you!

The warm fireplace said...

Thank you so much for your post today, we are struggling along, i am trying my best to make what we have go further, i felt very uplifted from your post, the words i needed to hear.
God bless sue

Anonymous said...

I hope things improve for you soon. I can relate to so much of what you wrote. Your worries are similiar to so many others that we can all take comfort in knowing we are not alone.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mrs. White, I am so very sorry for your anguish! Here, too, we have been experiencing such a heavy load, virtually all of it financially-related.

Frankly, I do not know what people who have no God to turn to, no Faith in His comfort, do when times like these enter their lives. And, despite our troubles, I am amazed & touched at the kindness of so many who are near me right now: friends & neighbors, relations, church members. I have been overwhelmed by acts both great & small as we trudge our way through my husband's unemployment. Gifts of food, money for gas, notes of encouragement, all these have made such a difference in our morale.

Perhaps God wants me to lean for awhile on others....I've never been very comfortable doing that, but maybe He is allowing these trials in my life so that others may be blessed by helping...? I don't know, it's hard to try & guess these things.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I will pray, especially, for your children, that they find some work. Even very limited part-time would be a start. I'm sure they're fine young people, & I will try to envision them approaching the right place, the right employer, at just the time necessary to obtain at least an interview.

God's blessings on your family-
Brenda

Rebecca Knox said...

My dear sister! I'm right there with you in the concern over finances, grown children and their financial concerns, and amazement at God's blessings...the little miracles that He provides each step of the way. I just want you to know that I am lifting you and your family up in my prayers here and trust God to continue to meet each need as it arises. He is so good to us! Have a blessed and wonderful day! <3

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

When my husband was unemployed for months recently, my readers sent blessings as did church family and my father.
It is so encouraging, isn't it?

Hugs,
Laura