Monday, July 29, 2013

A Forced Rest

Inside RMS Olympic. The Reading and Writing Room on 'A' Deck.

Late yesterday evening, my frailness came back.  It was like an unseen wind that suddenly appeared.  I know it is time to rest.

At first, I felt like I was trying to get ready for a long journey. I made preparations with the children, and warned my husband. "Don't be alarmed," I told them.  "But my weariness has come back."  There is a weakness in my legs that requires me to use my crutches. 

 I needed the family to take over much of my homemaking.  I gave instructions and requests, while glancing around the rooms yearning for a body that worked.  It felt like I was walking away from a dearly loved project. I did not want to be bedridden without my dishes to wash, or my floors to sweep.  But I will yield to the forced rest.

I have this pretty tray, and will have one of the children polish it up.  They can use this to bring me snacks and refreshments during my confinement.  I have old movies to pick out, while I am in the quiet chambers.  The family will go on, in the other rooms of this large old Estate, without me.  They will check on me, and visit me throughout the day, but they will be doing all the work.

Perhaps one will take a break and watch a movie with me?  Perhaps someone will bake brownies as a special treat?  And maybe someone will remember to do the laundry, and hang the clothes on the  line, while I am recovering from something I cannot see?

Please do not worry about me, dear friends.  I have been used to this for decades.  I will be okay again.  These sweet rests are very precious.  They are a blessing, and a gift in disguise.

Blessings
Mrs. White




For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email. 




Share/Bookmark



12 comments:

Elle said...

They give the children a chance to practice what Mother taught them too.

We will miss you though. Get well soon!

Andrea said...

Mrs. White,
May God strengthen you through this time. Praying for a quick recovery!

Sheri said...

Oh Mrs. White-so sorry to hear you are feeling weary but I know you have lots of folks praying for you (including me) and wishing your strength to return soon. Wish I were closer, I would come and visit :) and bring snacks too. :) Hugs

suzannah said...

feel better Mrs White :) Prayers. Relax for a day and let your husband and kids take care of the house. Thats just your bodies way of telling you need to rest up

Deanna said...

Mrs. White, May you get stronger and rested up. Thinking about you.

Think the picture you have chosen is lovely!
God bless,
d

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Dear Mrs. White,
May God bring you peace, rest, hope, strength, and healing.
I ask it in Jesus Christ's Name,
Amen.

Bless you!
Laura
Harvest Lane Cottage

Anonymous said...

Please rest as long as you need, Mrs. White. I will be praying for you as your other readers will be.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Simply Shelley said...

I so understand this post....I too suffer from a chronic illness. I am now recuperating from a surgery as well....lots of rest and healing going on here. I pray your body and spirit gets the rest needed and you are very soon feeling so much better....you have a beautiful blog...I plan to visit here often :) Blessings

Cathy said...

Bless you. God is good. His mercy endures forever.

Linda said...

Mrs. White, I hope this weakness is very short-lived and you are soon up and about again.
You and your blog are such a blessing to so many.
I'm sure your children and Mr. White will take very good care of you!
Linda

Kathy said...

Praying for your quick recovery! You have such a cheerful spirit in spite of the hardships. Thank you for inspiring me.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I hope you will be feeling better soon.