Friday, April 14, 2017

Spring Work at the Estate

Spring 2017 in Rural Vermont: This picture was taken down the road from our Estate.


We have been walking the property seeing all the work that needs to be done.  Some of us did part of the raking.  The grounds had been so neglected last season that we still have our 2 acres covered in leaves from last fall.  It is heavy work getting it cleaned up.  I worked for about 15 minutes before I had to stop. I simply do not have the muscle for it!  But I will keep trying on each sunny day!

Some of our grown children have been working to help with the yard work.  We also have plans to plant more wildflowers since they take little effort and not much care.

I hope to get out to the back grounds and clean up my little strawberry garden sometime this afternoon. I will wear my gardening gloves and take the rake with me to gently remove old leaves and such.

The grass here is not quite green.  It is only starting to wake up from the winter. We often have frost on the ground into May, but we may have plenty of green at the same time.

John (19) and I were driving down our country road and saw some little ducks swimming in a flooded bit of land.  They looked so peaceful with a beautiful view of the mountains in the background.  John got a picture of the scene for me to share here with you.  Sometimes I forget how pretty the land is here and how grateful we are to live here.

Mister and I walked a bit around the house and noticed many repairs that must happen this summer. We have neglected them for so long, it has almost become a crisis.   There is some rotting wood around lower window frames and our peeling paint that has been ignored more than 10 years must be addressed. There is very little money to pay for such things and since Mister is disabled, and I know nothing about such things, we will have to find some way to get this work done. 

This large old house is very shabby and neglected these past couple of years.  But it is a dearly loved, humble dwelling place that I love.

I have not heard any birds chirping outside yet this season.  Once I do hear them, I will be so happy, knowing spring is really here!

Have a wonderful Easter!

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

The Reason our Home is being Neglected - The Shabby Garden.

Joy Despite Hard Times - Poor and Pretty Living.

Home Economics - Basic Cookery.


 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -






Mrs. White's special book for Homemakers
-

 "Mother's Book of Home Economics."



312 pages, paperback. 





9 comments:

Willemien said...

You live in a beautiful place!

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

Hello Mrs. White,
Just stopping in this evening to catch up. You are such an eloquent writer and I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing your talent with your faithful readers.
Blessings,
Mrs.B

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Good morning Mrs. White. I'm afraid this old house has some similar problems. We are currently working in the bathroom. We are painting now, but there is a window that will definitely need new wood and maybe a new window. The wood is rotted since it was in the shower. Strange place for a window. I don't like to think how much needs to be done.

God bless you! I pray you will have a peaceful Easter weekend.
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Deborah Montgomery said...


There's always so much upkeep with a house and yard, isn't there? What a beautiful area you live in! May you have a lovely and joyous Easter. Blessings, Deborah

Lana said...

Won't it be wonderful to be in heaven where such cares will be past? My husband had a major heart attack in December and we now must just put things off because he cannot do them. We have run the mower over our leaves and chopped them up for over 20 years here. It usually takes twice but they just sort of disappear and enrich the soil.

Tammy said...

What a lovely scene! You are indeed blessed.
We are working on our own 'estate'.

About 4.5 of 6 acres are planted pines, so nothing to do with those but let them grow. The bit of land left is our yard and the area around our 1/4 acre pond. Dh got the yard cut last week for our Easter party yesterday and it looks so good. SOmetimes just a little bit makes a huge difference!

I spent last week painting our porch (no money to hire it out), and I am TIRED of pickets, lol. But still blessed to have them. :)

Happy Easter!

Gentle Joy said...

What a joy to work together on a project and have family help... and fellowship. :) So many challenges to face, yet seeing the blessings too.

Deanna said...

Really nice when the whole family work together getting lots done.
A wonderful blessing.
d

Julie said...

I thought of you when I pulled out my Passover cookbook a few weeks back. I hope you were able to make something out of the one I sent you before. My favorite sign of spring is the arrival of fresh asparagus! I don't eat it except when it's in season, so those first bites of it at Passover make me so happy. It's always a pleasure to see a new post from you. Hugs from Seattle!