Friday, September 23, 2022

Keeping an Old Farm Journal

Library of Congress: Farmer's Wife at home, 1940, California.


Quiet days of homemaking used to be recorded in a journal. Farm wives would write down the weather, how the garden was doing, the food she cooked or baked, the company that visited, and many other little details.   These would be moments of reflection that others might find boring. But in these pages one would find the simple, ordinary life in which she lived.  It was a world centered, and focused, on home and family. 

The old farm life is like a world in itself. The family is mostly self-sufficient. They work on the property and spend most of their time there. They will venture out for supplies and church and little visits. But mostly they spend their time caring for their farm, their home, and their family. They have just about everything they need there. The old time farm wife would sew, in the evenings, or embroider beautiful mottoes to decorate the walls with words to live by. She would clean and tidy the home, making it look inviting and pleasant. Keeping an old time farm journal would remind her of the joy and happiness of an ordinary life. 

Homemakers without a farm can still do much of this today, whether we live in a small apartment, or a spacious house.  In moments of reflection, she can record these happy days in a farm journal. 

I have kept a daily journal for many years. I use one of those calendar planner books.  Instead of writing down appointments, I use the space for a diary.  I write about who visited that day, and what I served for lunch or dinner.  I write about illnesses, blizzards, and cold temperatures. I write that we went to Church, or that I went to the market. I can look back and see when all my grown children have called me on the telephone, so I know they have checked-in and are okay. This little journal of mine is like the old time diary of a farmer's wife.  It is all about my quiet little world of home.

My station in life is as a homemaker.  This is where I daily practice the domestic arts. This is where I keep my focus. It is a safe haven.  It is a retreat from the world. I do not need to fret or worry or wonder about what is going on in the outside world.  My Father in Heaven will take care of all that.  I trust Him.  This faith, that the Lord is taking care of me and all that concerns my family, allows me to rest with a great sense of peace and contentment.

Each day I will keep bustling about the home, making meals, cleaning, creating a safe haven of rest for those who enter this place. I will gratefully serve, with love and contentment, as I care for my husband, children, and grandchildren.  And I will keep writing little notes in my journal about my days - though it may seem boring to onlookers.

I will keep doing this, until the Lord calls me home.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

A Graceful Lesson in Manners and Faith - Waiting for the Door to be Opened

Inspiration from the Mother of D. L. Moody - Poverty in the 1800's.

Learning Thrift from History - Adapting to the High Cost of Living

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, "Homemaking For Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 307 pages. 







11 comments:

Marilyn said...

Your next to last paragraph will be copied and printed and framed...It is so me. Your blog is so heartwarming. I enjoy it more than I can ever say.

Amelia said...

Oh I loved reading this...Very comforting, encouraging and even gives company for homemakers like ourselves. It reminds me of my little world in ways, I suppose I should start journaling my life too, I've even thought of writing down just what I did on days on my blog and hopefully encouraging other homemakers to share what they did too that day in a comment.

Your book listed below is also wonderful to read, it's also a fine encouragement.

Take care now Mrs. White, it's always nice to read here.

Blessings! ~Amelia

Cate Nunan said...

What a great idea, to use the calendar and the daily sections of a calendAR to write down a little about the day. I like the sound of that and it is easily achievable. I have one too but rarely use it so I am going to start this today. Thank you for sharing this idea and that lovely photo of the farm wife at her piano. I follow another blog ,Grandma Donna, and she blogs about generations past and also how she lives a life that is like they did. It is a lot like you and your lifestyle and personal approach to life. She has old diaries of women and she is transcribing them for us to read and it is a fascinating glimpse into their worlds. It is convicting too and reminds me to be content with what I have. It is gdonna.com if you are interested. Much love, Cate

Annette said...

Beautifully written.

Elizabethd said...

Very beautifully written, Mrs white. Life goes so fast these days, it is good to remember the od ways.

Linda said...

I truly enjoyed reading this and I loved the inspirational picture of the farmer's wife! Although I have been a longtime admirer of your blog this is the first time I have written a comment. Thank you for your love and wisdom. Your blog is the first one I read when the world becomes chaotic and I need to find comfort and hope!

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White,
your writing is such a balm to my soul. I see many people, even Christians today are full of fear of the future and I know its not right and it shouldn't be this way. We of all people need to reflect Christ love, joy and peace. Your writing does that so well.
I also keep a journal and record my days, just like you. I record all sorts of things for future generations to look back on and hopefully glean something to help them. I also enjoy reading my own journals as I easily forget when something happened. My journal always records the exact date.
Blessings to you, and thank you for the encouragement you give ~ Linda

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

This really resonates with me. Thank you for sharing it.

"My station in life is as a homemaker. This is where I daily practice the domestic arts. This is where I keep my focus. It is a safe haven. It is a retreat from the world. I do not need to fret or worry or wonder about what is going on in the outside world. My Father in Heaven will take care of all that. I trust Him. This faith, that the Lord is taking care of me and all that concerns my family, allows me to rest with a great sense of peace and contentment."

You and your readers may be interested in the blog GDonna.com . This is a lady who enjoys the old ways and is trying her best to live in such a way. Right now she's doing a study on 1943 and sharing diary entries such as you mentioned on her blog weekly.

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Mrs. Laura Lane

Billie Jo said...

This post is why I love visiting you here, my friend. Thank you for this. For encouraging and validating, and inspiring. Hugs from a fellow homemaker in Pennsylvania.

Deanna said...

This is a beautifully written post. I loved it especially what you have shared in this paragraph: My station in life is as a homemaker. This is where I daily practice the domestic arts. This is where I keep my focus. It is a safe haven. It is a retreat from the world. I do not need to fret or worry or wonder about what is going on in the outside world. My Father in Heaven will take care of all that. I trust Him. This faith, that the Lord is taking care of me and all that concerns my family, allows me to rest with a great sense of peace and contentment.

The domestic arts is heart warming,
d on the prairie

living from glory to glory said...

Being at home is such a comfort to my heart. Every time I need to go out it feels just busy and seeing the lovely parts of town looking so shabby.
But I have kept a journal for years and I write everything that has challenged me and inspired me. My faith in Christ has grown each passing year. I enjoy reading over my journals and I can easily see the hand of God in my life working. Being a homemaker and home keeper has been my greatest joy!
And anymore, I need a record of what I did around my home and where I went during the week. LOL Blessings, Roxy