Thursday, June 8, 2023

Make an Effort

Rainy Day: View of the front grounds, under the umbrella, at Mrs. White's House.


There is so much beauty in nature and in our homes. There is a sense of calming serenity when we are peaceful, taking things as they come. But sometimes we get overwhelmed and this might make us weary. One morning I had to tell myself to "make an effort!"  I needed to get up and get to work. There is always much to do for those who are willing to stand ready to do the labor.

We must not let the common trials and stresses of life make us sick. It takes effort to overcome hardship.  The great duty of our day is to calmly walk forward bringing cheer to others. We ought to be in the business of spreading joy and creating lovely things around us. This makes home a happy place.

We've had some very hot days which required fans and an air conditioner. We had to avoid heat exhaustion while staying cool and hydrated.  The following week we had a great deal of rain and cold weather. We had to get a fire going in the wood stove to keep warm!  When we are too hot or too cold it is difficult to function. In the midst of all this, I was waiting for a call. Each day, I stayed near a phone waiting for it to ring.  I kept busy with housework, taking care of grandbabies, and listening to the comfort of old time sermons and hymns on the kitchen radio.  We waited for weeks until the call came through, which brought a sense of relief.  The stress and pressure of wondering was gone. We could then walk forward and continue on the path before us.

Each day, as I waited for that call, it reminded me of listening to church bells each Sunday morning, as the community is reminded it is time for the services.  This is like a pause from all we are doing. We lay down our work, turn in the direction of the bell, and think of Heavenly matters. Some day that sound of the church bell will be replaced with the summons to our Heavenly rest. It could come at any time.

As we walk through the storm clouds of life, trying to get by, trying our best to just make it, we ought to remember to pray and wait for the Lord to work in our lives. We must not sit idle waiting for phone calls or do nothing as we wait for the church bells to ring. No matter what we face, we have to keep making an effort. We have to occupy our time, doing the Master's work.  We are not responsible for the results of those efforts. The precious Lord will do the rest.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Ideas to minimize stress - Peace be Upon this House

 A Precious Lifetime of Duty at home at - The Mission House.  

Ration Books from 1942 and helpful advice - Adapting to the High Cost of Living.





Mrs. White's special book for homemakers:"Introduction to Home Economics:  Gentle Instruction to Find Joy in Christian Homemaking."

Find stories of home life, with photographs of my home, in this encouraging book. 

 Paperback, 200 pages. 



- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -




 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. During times like these, I try to remember God gives us strength to do what he calls us to do. I wonder, if at times when I don't accomplish what I desire to do due to lack of energy.. is it possibly because I was trying to accomplish my desires and not the lords?

Wanda said...

What a beautiful post, Mrs. White. So many words of wisdom. That's what the Lord told us to do..."occupy until I come". Keeping on with the ordinary things of life, but always looking and hoping it will be the day of His return.

I had been lax about some deep cleaning, but the other day I got energized as I was having my morning coffee and meditation time. Time to get to work! And work I did from 9:30 to 3:30 and sat down to enjoy a sparkling clean living room dining room and kitchen, In our small unit it can be done in a few hours if you work hard. And I did. Yesterday I tackled my roll top desk!!! Yeah I would several things I was looking for. HaHa.

Thank you for your spiritual and practical advice to us homemakers!

Lady Locust said...

Isn't it peculiar how our feet can get stuck? :-) You are quite right. Typically if we begin one small task, it leads to another.

Vee said...

What a thoughtful and thought provoking post. Those phone calls can stop us in our tracks—all that time wasted.

Mrs.T said...

What a wonderful reminder! It is always worth kit to make the effort. Thanks so much for sharing. Our weather has been the same as yours. A wood fire in the kitchen stove as we speak.

Liz from New York said...

What a simple, yet powerful post. I loved it, and feel you were able to express the sentiment perfectly. We know where we are going (hopefully), and yet still must move forward, even through our waiting.

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

QUE PALABRAS TAN REFLEXIVAS SEÑORA WHITE, MIENTRAS TENGAMOS ALGO DE ALIENTO, DEBEMOS SEGUIR ADELANTE Y HACER LO QUE TENGAMOS QUE HACER, HACER LO BUENO DELANTE DE LOS OJOS DE DIOS, QUE JESUS VENGA PRONTO ES NUESTRO GRAN DESEO. ESTAMOS CUMPLIENDO 45 AÑOS DE FELIZ MATRIMONIO, SOMOS MUY BENDECIDOS Y AGRADECEMOS AL SEÑOR SU PROVIDENCIA Y FIDELIDAD. ¿PUEDE PASAR POR MI BLOG? BENDICIONES Y ABRAZOS A LA DISTANCIA.

Cheyenne said...

What a sweet blessing your blog posts are to me. Thank you!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

So beautifully shared, Mrs White…thank you. 🙏🏻🌷
Jennifer

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

Oh, this is so true! Every day I pray for strength, energy, and motivation to get the things done that I need to get done. Sometimes I pray that the Lord will just pick us up and carry us through the day!!! It's a wonderful thing, at night before bed, to look back on the day and see how the Lord provided.

Thank you, again, for your posts!

Debbie said...

Waiting for a call like that can be torturous. It's tough to function when our mind is so occupied with the "what ifs". I think it's through the strength of God that we can carry on, while waiting. What would we do without a God who carries us through every trial?

I'm so glad your call was one of relief.

Thank you for sharing your heart. It's always inspiring.

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White, your words are always a comfort and help me to focus on what is most important. I know what it is to have to make oneself 'get on with things', especially if that sluggishness is because of ill health. As someone with asthma, who has bouts of bad health quite often, I too have learnt to just make myself get on and do the tasks that are required whether I 'feel' like it or not. Blessings to you and I'm glad that 'phone call' was the news you needed to hear ~ linda