Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mother’s Silent Influence in the Home

Sunday, May 17, 2009

There seems to be two kinds of Christians.

1. Regular Christians and

2. Spiritual Christians.

I’m going to explain my theory here and also how it relates to Mama and her quiet influence.

1. Regular Christians.
These dear people go to church regularly, have morals and do their best to live the Christian life. They are God’s children and He loves them dearly. But there is something lacking. This has nothing to do with their path to heaven but with their life here on earth. They have never fully experienced the sorrow, the wisdom and the blessed joy of weeping in God’s spiritual arms. This comes in time. This comes over a period of many years.

2. Spiritual Christians.
These are the “white haired” saints of old (even if they are not yet elderly). These people have been through the fiery trials of life and have clung to the Lord through it all. They have a Spiritual heart, and hunger for the Master and for Heaven. They yearn for it. They weep for, seemingly, no reason. You can hear them singing quietly to themselves while they go about their work. When you look at them, you almost see the angels surrounding them with comfort and heavenly love. There is something about them that reminds one of Moses, as he came off the Mount after meeting with God to receive the Ten Commandments. The faces of these Spiritual Christians shine (Exodus 34:29), as if they have just been in the company of the Precious Lord Himself. This is the earthly state that all Christians aspire to.

When our children are growing up in our homes, we want them to see Mama living for her God. They do not know Him literally yet, but they will be drawn to Him by watching a Godly Mother.

The other day, I was in my living room cutting out an apron pattern and doing some sewing. I listened to Bill Monroe on the radio, singing the old song “I am a Pilgrim.” And my heart soared with joy. My 19 year old daughter got all dressed up to go out for the evening. She was full of the cares of this life and she was happy. I smiled at her. We old people do that to the young. We smile at their happiness. But then she did this little dance and I gasped and had this sharp, brutal pain in the center of my chest and said so. She ran over to me laughing, “Oh, Mom, you are so cute. I will never do that dance again.”       -How precious-

My children tell me that there are things they will not share with Grandpa (my Dad). He is a godly man from the old south and he loves His Bible and Spiritual things. He would be deeply offended and spiritually wounded (saddened) by some of their worldly cares (exploits?) But when they say they will tell me things or let me read their tell-all books, or listen to their worldly songs, I get this sad feeling, that I compromise with them perhaps? That I am not as strong as my Dad? Would I rather they shared all these things with me or that they held some back out of respect for a saintly mother? I prefer to be considered more like their Grandpa, and strive for this more and more every day.

Our children are puzzled by the faith. They know God, they believe in Him but they do not have that Spiritual connection yet. They are but babes. All goodness and holy striving will come for them in time. Yet, they can watch Mama as she goes about her day, loving her Bible, loving sermons, godly fellowship and godly music. They will notice her aversion, more and more to the world, until she reaches that state of an “almost” perfection of the soul, where she is being prepared for heaven. All the worldly cares mean nothing anymore. This is the strongest testimony to our young. They observe all this and they want it, but don’t know how to get it. They will ponder these things in their hearts and when the time comes, they will cling to the silent witness of Mama’s life and be led to her Glorious God.

Blessings,

Mrs. White

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree completely. In our home, it's the same way. Where we, mom and dad give low degree to the things of this world. And hopefully, when they are grown, they will have a 'lightbulb' moment where teachings of their childhood will finally make a little sense.

Dawn said...

Beautiful!