Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Hospital Visit

Paiting by Adriana van Ravenswaay, 1872.

 

My sixth grandbaby was born early this year. I have been honored to be at the hospital to welcome each new baby into our family. A couple of weeks ago, the 7th baby was about to arrive. I started to pack my things, preparing for a 2 hour drive into the city to stay with family and be there for the baby's arrival.

Just as I got my suitcase out, I was struck down with a terrible illness.  I was devastated that I could not travel. I knew it was impossible in my condition.  This would be the first time I was not there when a grandbaby was born.

I struggled to fight off this illness for a week, telling the family I would be there as soon as I was better, as soon as I was no longer contagious.

Things started to get worse.  For the first time in more than 10 years, I had to go to the hospital.  I needed help. I could not recover on my own.  Mister was right by my side. He sat in the room with me while the medical staff took care of me.   Despite his being disabled (from an accident in late spring of last year), he stayed with me, making sure I was okay.

I have been bedridden all this time, trying to get up a little each day to build up my strength. Some mornings I have managed to do the dishes, or fold laundry.  One morning I went for a ride with Mister to the pharmacy to pick up his prescription, but it wore me out so much, I had to go back to bed for the rest of the day.   Each day I try to do a little more, while still resting as much as possible. 

I have been left feeling very weak, but am much better. Soon I will take that trip to the city and finally see my 7th grandbaby, a little girl. We now have three grandgirls and four grandboys.  We are so thankful.

My oldest son cheered me up by bringing home a beautiful, vintage couch for our parlour.  There was an Inn near his work that had closed down and he was given some lovely furniture.  I was delighted he gave me the couch.  It is a pretty blue and looks so homelike and comfortable.

I look forward to getting well enough to vacuum and dust and to clean and keep house.  But I am grateful to have a family who has taken over all my housework so I can recover.

Blessings
Mrs. White


From the Archives -

Simple and Pleasant  - An Ordinary Life at Home.

Wonderful Days at Home - Domestic Life.

Marriage - When Groceries are The Presents.


 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, "Homemaking For Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 307 pages.




19 comments:

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Dear, I am so sorry that you have had an illness. It is so hard when we cannot get better on our own. But so thankful you were given good care, I give God praise for the medical care I have been given.
But, I am so sorry you missed the arrival of the newest bundle of joy.
Just rest and get well and it is wise to do a little bit each day to gain back your strength.
Your new couch sounds lovely, what a sweet thing that he thought of his mother! I will be praying for you.
Hugs, Roxy

Rhonda said...

I am so sorry you have been so sick. It's is so frustrating to us homemakers to not be able to do what we think we ought to do it.
I pray you get stronger everyday,

We also have 3 grand girls and 4 Grandboys. #8, a boy, will arrive in the summer.

Kathy said...

Dear Mrs. White, I am so sorry to hear you've been unwell. Please, get lots of rest and feel better soon!

Congratulations on your newest grandbaby! We are expecting our 6th (2nd girl) any time, possibly tonight, or tomorrow, which would be fine with me, as it is my birthday. :)

Your new (vintage) couch sounds lovely! I'm so happy it cheered you up, and I know your son must have been delighted as well!

I will be keeping you in my prayers,
Many blessings to you and yours,

Kathy M in Sonora, CA

Unknown said...

I am praying you will soon be well and able to go to see your sweet little granddaughter. I pray that your strength increases so that you will not get too tired out while you are visiting! I also pray that others at home will come alongside you to help you with keeping house until you are back to normal.

Tammy said...

Take care of yourself!
I'd love to see a pic of that 'new' couch whnen you can.
I'll keep you in prayer for a full recovery, and soon.

Deanna said...

Dear Mrs. White,
May you be well soon. Sorry you took ill.
Congrats on Grandbaby #7!!!
God bless you,
d

Willemien said...

Congratulations with your granddaughter!
I'm so sorry for you can't see her!
I hope you can go very soon.

Love,
Carolien

JES said...

"Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well." (3 John 1:2 NIV)

Love, JES

D said...

Praying for you and your sweet family. Remembering Jesus and the glory of the resurrection,Deedy (homeandharvest-deedy blogspot.com)

Melissa M. said...

I hope you feel better soon.

Elizabethd said...

Take time to recover from what sounds like a really serious illness. Your newest baby will still be there, and you will enjoy seeing her at the right time.
How lovely to have a reclining couch..or what the Victorians called a 'fainting couch'!

Jennifer Williams said...

I am so sorry that you have been sick. Please take care of yourself and get well. Your family needs you. :-) My prayers are with you.

becky said...

I am so sorry you haven't been well. Congratulations on # 7. We have 7 grandbabies with #8 on the way. They are a joy!
Can't wait to see the couch!
Love Becky

Always Learning said...

I know what it's like to suffer with illness. Just last Sept. I was in ICU for 4 days. Suffering does cause us to cling to Him all the more. Blessings to you and may you be healthy soon so you can see your grandbaby!

Unknown said...

Mrs. White,

Praying for your recovery. You are so blessed that family is able to help out. Hope you are able to get lots of rest so you can quickly get back to your homemaking.

Gwen said...

So sorry to hear you have been ill, Mrs. White, but congratulations on your new grandchild, and I hope you are able to see them soon :-)

Debbie said...

Mrs. White, I'm so sorry that you missed the baby's birth. And equally sorry for your extended illness!

I hope you'll feel much better this week and hoping for a blessed Easter.

Blessings to you and congratulations!

KatieL said...

Mrs. White:
Congratulations on the birth of your grandbaby!
I am so sorry about your ill health. It can be very difficult to accept Illness, perhaps especially when we already manage some chronic health issues (I do, also.) However, having the Lady of the House under the weather gives your loved ones the opportunity to give to a beloved family member (You,) and to pull together as a team. This serves them well, enriching their lives.
It also gives the ill person a Godly reminder that her worth is not based on her productivity, but just being...herself.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. White,
Congratulations on the newest grand baby! Our first grand arrived two weeks ago. I am in love!

I will pray for your continuing healing. May God strengthen, heal and bless you.

Thank you for continuing to bless others through your blog.

Marney