![]() |
| Tea roses on the front grounds of our property. |
I have been listening to Bing Crosby sing Christmas songs on the CD player in my kitchen. I am baking homemade cookies for the family. I am feeling old and tired but wanted to have a nice treat for the household. As I do the work of housekeeping, I am wearing a comfortable house coat with a pretty blue floral pattern. We have had the wood pellet stove on to help keep us warm. The temperatures have been in the 30's and chilly. It is so nice to be indoors by the fire as I go about the work of making home a pleasant place for us to enjoy.
This morning, we did a little rearranging of furniture. I wanted to move the big desk into the main livingroom by the back door. I placed a lamp on a doily on the side of the desk and then tucked in a comfortable chair. It looks so cozy and home-like. When asked why I wanted a desk in the livingroom, I smiled and said, "in case someone wanted to write a letter or have a place to study by the lamp." It looks old fashioned and charming.
We have been struggling with sickness. We are getting ready to go on one of our medical trips into the next state (for our patient.) Yet I do not feel overwhelmed or alone because I know the Lord is with me. I can rest and be a cheerful mother regardless of all the work and troubles that hover around us. The Lord gives us courage and strength to go about our days doing His work regardless of the trials we endure. It is a blessing!
While I have been sitting here writing, I have been taking breaks to put another batch of cookies in the oven, or to pack up the ones that have cooled. And each time I checked the cooling rack, I noticed some of the cookies are missing. Those in the household have come in and helped themselves to a little of the fresh baked goodness in mother's kitchen. . . Some make cookies for special occasions or for a meeting or event. But the best type of cookies are the ones the family can eat right away.
How truly precious it is to have a home and a family to enjoy both the good and the difficult days. To do what we can to make their lives more cheerful is such a wonderful work of motherhood.
Blessings
Mrs.White
From the Archives -
Simple Living on a Walton's Budget - Old Time Homemaking.
Practical help for the home - Peaceful Living by Rules.
Old time values - The Blessing of Being a Half - Southern Mama.
- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -
Find cleaning inspiration and encouragement in Mrs. White's book, "Gracious House Keeping."
"Gracious House Keeping: Advice, Encouragement, and Cleaning Help for the Christian Housewife."
Complete with Encouragement and Work Charts to cheer you along in your homemaking!
115 pages, paperback.

.jpg)

Oh, yes, Mrs. White, the most perfect cookies are the ones our family can eat and enjoy right away. Praying for your son's health. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteI am praying for your son and your family. God’s blessings.
ReplyDeleteDear Mrs. White, you are BLESSED to have cold weather. It is very hot where I am, it doesn't feel like Autumn at all. I pray that your medical trip for your dear patient goes well. I am taking inspiration from you today, I want to be a cheerful wife even though it feels like I am melting! God's peace be with you.
ReplyDeleteMrs White, do you live in a multigenerational household?
ReplyDelete