Author - Robert J. Bernabé, who is an expert in mortgage finance. He was a pioneer in online mortgage lending. He currently serves on his Church's financial
Description from the back of the book:
"Stocked with compelling real-life scenarios, budgeting tips, and handy financial tools, Mind Your Own Mortgage, is a timely wake-up call for homeowners and a candid decree that the American dream is still possible - if we dramatically rethink the way we finance our homes."
Personally, I have purchased 2 homes and 2 investment properties over the years. I know quite a bit about mortgages, how financing works, and how to get deals. I also know how to buy from a business stand-point, rather than from a foolish (and dangerous) emotional stand-point. With this background in mind, I thought this would be a fun book to read. I thought it would be about the current mortgage crisis and offer a way to help, those who are suffering, out of their drowning debt. Well, it was all this and more! I was amazed with Rob's concern, understanding and his inspiring ideas about money, spending and budgeting in general.
While you will get a great education about mortgages, in this book, you will also learn about finances in all areas of life. Here are some highlights:
1. "Everything you buy is going to go out of fashion, fade away, rust, or end up in the junk heap." (p. 73)
2. "What led to the credit crisis in the first place is financially irresponsible living. Let's not blame the system - we're the ones who should have said no and saved for a rainy day." (p. 47)
3. "A society that doesn't live within its means eventually has to pay the price." (p. 44)
4. "Unfortunately, mortgages are delivered through a system that will trap you in perpetual debt if you allow yourself to be caught off guard."
5. "Instant gratification is your enemy, and a slow and steady pace is your friend." (p. 14)
This book is 300 pages and a wealth of knowledge. I highly recommend it!
*Disclosure - This book was provided by