Sunday, April 28, 2024

Staying Home after a Journey

Flowering trees on our recent trip to Massachusetts, April 2024.


Years ago, when my parents lived with us, they would take regular trips to different areas to visit their grown children. We had family in Massachusetts, and in a few southern states.  I would go downstairs (in their section of this large 1850's house) to visit them. Mother had a list of all the things they would need.  Dad would be packing a small bag with medication, first aid items, and other necessities. Mom would have piles of clean and folded clothes to go into the suitcases.  They would get all their packing done the night before they left for one of their trips.  They would spend weeks or months visiting grandchildren and their other children a few times each year.  

Mom always cleaned and tidied the house before she left. She would not leave dirty dishes or anything out of order before going out. Yet, she did all things in a calm and steady way.  Then they were able to travel with a feeling of rest and peace.

My husband and I recently went on a trip. As we packed and prepared to go, I thought of the way my parents did their packing. Their example of working in an orderly way has helped to guide me.  As we got ready for our trip, I wanted to make sure we didn't forget anything.

I said to my husband, "Let's bring the umbrellas. It might rain."  I wrote out a list of all the things we needed. We packed our suitcases and our picnic bags with food for the drive and for our journey.   I made sure the house was neat and the dishes were done before we walked out the door.

Driving through Boston, April 2024

 

On this trip, we visited our relatives and attended a funeral of a beloved family member. The brief sermon and prayers were comforting and lovely.  It was wonderful to see everyone and to remember the old days. 

 

View from the car as we entered the historic cemetery, April 2024.

 

There were sad and somber moments, but we were grateful to have been able to make the trip.

Now we are back home.  I am working on settling in to my old homemaking routine after a long journey.  One of the first things I did was to bake a batch of bread. We were running low on so many things.  A Kerosene delivery arrived while we were away. This will provide us with heat for part of the house.  The cold days in Vermont last well into May.  I will need to save up to pay this bill and to work hard at saving money to replenish our emergency fund. 

I am thinking about watching old episodes, on DVD, of The Waltons. This will bring inspiration in managing on a low income and remind me of a variety of ways to make do and to make things last.  

We have many projects, here at home, that need our attention. There is spring clean-up of the grounds and much organizing and cleaning to do indoors.   We hope to have our grandchildren visit us frequently this summer. Settling back into the familiar routine is taking some time for me to adjust. I miss my extended family and hope we can see them again soon. 

As I look out the front window at the grounds of our Estate, I am so grateful for our rural mountain village.  This is a quiet life focused on family and home.  It is a blessing to just rest and to stay home.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

My Mother's Example - Housekeeping All Day.

Several Generations in one House - Keeping the Family Homestead.

Ideas for a Restful Home life - Peace be Upon This House.

 

- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -

 


Mrs. White's special book for homemakers: 
 
 
Paperback, 200 pages. 



 

 

 



 

8 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I am so happy to read a post from you, Mrs. White. I am so sorry for your loss (but heaven's gain). You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for your encouragement to live a simple, faithful life serving our families. Much love to you!

Deanna said...

Blessings to you. God bless and comfort to you with the loss of a loved one.
~d

Martha Jane Orlando said...

We can find such quiet joy and peace at home with our familiar routines and daily blessings. May God comfort you and yours in this time of loss and bereavement, Mrs. White.

Homemaker's Heart said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's lovely to see the pictures of your journey, and I can understand how when you get home getting back into a rhythm brings a sense of comfort. It's still chilly here in Colorado too. It snowed 2 days ago, and we are still having 25 degree nights. The hummingbirds have been sighted though, so Spring is on it's way.

I suppose I'm grateful for a slow coming Spring and warmer weather, it helps me to have a little more time to prepare. I'm so much slower now that I'm older.

Thank you for sharing about your journey out of town.
Blessings,
Dee

Mrs. Kimberly H. said...

Dear Mrs White,
I couldn’t agree with you more regarding your methods for preparing for a time away. I’ve learned the value of coming back to an orderly house and something in the freezer for the next day’s supper:). I’m sorry for your loss and the reason for your trip. I have found my library has many books of “old ways” and I love reading them, as well as referring to my own library as resources to reduce our expenses. We are also on a fixed income and these resources are invaluable. Glad you’ve returned safe and sound!

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White,
Thank you for sharing your trip away and the images. Even though it sounded like a sad occasion, even the car journey can be enjoyable (that's how it is for me). We find we hardly travel much at all these days as petrol is so very costly here in NZ. I'm also encouraged that I'm not the only one who has to replenish an 'emergency fund' and watch pennies. It's a real skill to know exactly how much money there is in the budget and to stick to it. I also love the Walton's, we haven't watched it for a couple of years but maybe it's about time we too got the DVD series out again. There is so much encouragement from the way people coped and survived through the great depression, while still finding joy in simple things. Many blessings to you ~ Linda

Debbie said...

Welcome home, Mrs. White. It's nice to get away and visit, but it's especially nice to return home. I'm so sorry about the loss of a loved one. Those visits with friends and family can bring such sweet memories during a sad time.

I hope you get back into your routine and have a wonderful week.

Lady Locust said...

Welcome home (as others have said). It's nice to go but it's always nice to be back in our own homes.
Be well and enjoy the spring beauty 💕