Thursday, January 19, 2012

Frugal Inspiration from a Legend - Amy Dacyczyn



In the early 1990's, I came across Amy's book, "The Tightwad Gazette."  I was inspired to live a life of artistic, creative frugality. It completely changed my shopping life. . . At least for a time. . .

Even though I have lived frugally my entire life, despite several bouts of reckless shopping at times, and I know how to live with very little money, I found myself being extremely wasteful last month.

It  had been the best December we had in years. I had saved up a few hundred dollars, but spent it all on gifts, most of which were bought - just to buy a "gift."   I can only imagine how much cash I would still have if I had remembered Amy's shopping wisdom.

My goal is to re-read Amy's book.  I will read it slowly and re-incorporate her ideas into my daily life. (It is much like a dieter trying to change a lifestyle, rather than going on a restricted eating plan.)  I will take the ideas which mean the most to me, which will work in my situation, and will find happiness in spending little or no money.

This is not a life of deprivation, but one of amazing Yankee Ingenuity.

I first saw Amy on the Phil Donahue show. I cannot even imagine how long ago that was. I found her book at my local library and then later bought a copy.  Ever wonder what she is up to today? I found a video interview of her from about a year ago!  She still inspires me and makes frugality look amazing!





blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

It is all I ever want to be - Secretary to the Master

Peaceful, quiet Living - Sunday Driver

Ration Books from 1942 and helpful advice - Adapting to the High Cost of Living.

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, "Homemaking For Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 307 pages. 

 





6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Morning!

This is a book I have had on my wishlist for a good 7 years now! I have never actually seen a copy of it but I read about it on the MOMYS digest. I had never thought of looking for it at the library---Ha! :) I'll check out the video later on this evening after all the sweeties are tucked in!

Hope you have a happy day!

Mrs. Sarah Coller

Rebecca Knox said...

I love Amy's books! I've got The Tightwad Gazettes I, II, and III. Over the years I've incorporated many of Amy's ideas into my own life, but you've inspired me to take a fresh look at them and incorporate even more! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

How I love Amy D.'s wisdom, & her tenacity! I believe I saw her on the very same Phil Donahue prgram you mentioned. That was 20 years ago. Do you remember just being riveted to the television while she was on? I ordered her newsletter as a result of that program, as well as all the back issues I'd missed. It was pretty disappointing when she decided to give up the Tightwad Gazette, but at least I have those monthly thrift installments!

It's good to go back, every once in a while, when I'm feeling a little sorry for myself & my particular circumstances, & re-read some of Amy's newsletters. Good advice never goes out of style! :o)

Brenda

Debbie said...

I always wanted to get that book, but never did. She has some great advice. I'm so glad you posted the video! Thanks!

Michelle Smith said...

I read that book years ago and still have it. Although I have followed many of her ideas in the past, over the past couple of months I have not followed thrift much at all, due to a family medical crisis. After it has past, I hope we are able to reach a new normal and find a new frugal family system which works well again.

Janet said...

Love the video! How encouraging!