Saturday, October 17, 2015

There are Scorners Everywhere

Library of Congress: 1918 Robert Carmer Hill house, NJ
                                             


There have been many great men in history who have given their time, health, and life to do the Lord's work. They have walked through their lives living the old paths despite scorners and hecklers in the sidelines.  In this great country, those scorners were the minority.  Today, it seems, in these modern days, there are many more scorners than there are people of great moral character, who openly love their Bibles and live noble lives.

I once saw a documentary of the life of Elvis Presley.  He sang old time gospel music with the great quartets like The Blackwood Brothers.  Some of these men said they would sing well into the night with him, on their own time, out of the limelight.  There was great comfort in singing, and in hearing, of hymns and old gospel music.

Every summer, my Uncle's church hosted week - long revival meetings. He was the preacher.  Everyone would get all dressed up, on hot summer evenings, and were so excited to hear his sermons.  We sang the old time songs out of the hymnals, and we would be convicted and strengthened by the powerful message. It brought many to tears.  By the time these weeks were up, we would all go home refreshed and equipped to seek a godly life, despite the scorners around us.

I have heard it said by many a preacher - "A Christian ought to be happy!"  When we have a close walk with the Lord, there is a great feeling of peace and joy in our hearts.  There is such joy that even in dark times, we have a bond with the Lord who comforts us and gives us such peace that the world can never know. This peace makes us happy!

The other day, I had a song in my mind, "I'll Meet You in the Morning" sung by The Blackwood Brothers.  I was searching through my tapes and trying to find the song.  I wanted to do some baking in my kitchen while listening to this particular tape. . .  This often happens to me.  What is familiar to us and what is precious to us, in regards to music or literature, gives us a sort of craving.   In this case, it was a craving for good things.  Sometimes the body craves a certain food and, we are told, that it is because we need a certain vitamin or nutrient and that causes the craving.  This can also happen in spiritual matters. Have you ever had a craving for the sound of "Amazing Grace" or "Peace in the Valley"?  This is a need for a spiritual vitamin to sustain you and to give you courage.

In these days, church attendance is down. Modest dressing is "out of fashion".  Purity, kindness, and the beauty of a consecrated life are rare. People today are made fun of for being sober. They are made fun of for following the Ten Commandments.  They are ridiculed for being "narrow minded" and "prudish."  These slang terms are the world's arrows against those who love the comfort and joy of a godly life.

Do not be weary of prayer meetings, all night gospel singings, tent revival meetings, and the daily time of family worship.  This is the old time religion that will quench the cravings of the soul.

Today, more than ever, we need the strength of godliness and holiness so that no heckler can make us stumble.  No heckler should be able to distract us or divert us from the most beautiful, happy life they may never know.  We must stand strong and continue to love our Bibles, love purity, and love a life of "Amazing Grace."  We are on a narrow, difficult path, toward the gates of Heaven.  But God's children shall all meet up together "over yonder" on that beautiful shore on the greatest "morning" of all.

blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -


Difficult Days here at Home - The Shabby Garden.

Homemaking Help - The Secret to a Clean House.

Marriage with Little Money - When Groceries are the Presents.




 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, "Homemaking For Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 307 pages.







7 comments:

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, You really hit the nail on the head! The Hecklers are everywhere. We must look strange to so many "old fashion" and out of date, but we rejoice to follow the narrow path and sing the hymns we loved!
Blessings, Roxy

Deanna said...

Hi Mrs. White.
I am glad you have shared.
What I have researched over this past year is about false teachers that are inside the churches and the belief that one does not need to be born again. It's been eye opening for me and at first I just about couldn't pick my mouth up off of the floor at what I had read. It has all soaked in and I am all the better for knowing what I know now. My eyes have been opened and God is teaching me so much. So very much. One needs to be born again through Jesus Christ. He is the messiah.
Blessings,
d

Tamara said...

Reminds me of the verse from Mt 5:11-12: "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
The challenge for me is that I keep my eyes on Jesus, and continue to love those who hurt me, intentionally or unintentionally. And that the persecution I am enduring is really because of my following the Lord, not my own failure to obey the Lord (reaping my crop)!
Thank-you for the encouraging post!

JES said...

How I love this!

Anastasia said...

Times are tough and society has thrown Christianity our the window. I agree with you, this is the time we need to be more vigilant.

Rebecca said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have felt so under attack by modern society - even and especially in the CHURCH! You are such a blessing to those of us who hold fast to the good old fashioned ways. Thank you for being such an encouragement during these trying times.

Lori said...

This is such a blessing! When we moved, we moved away from good Bible preaching, old fashion church services. Attending church here is hard for our family so there are many services live streamed so we can enjoy what we miss out on. Thank you for linking up with Thankful Thursdays.