Friday, January 27, 2023

My Wish Book for Saving Money

Mrs. White's wish book.

In an effort to spend less money this year, I decided I needed a wish book. All through the year there are things that distract me with a sense of want.  There are little things I want to buy that do not cost much money. However, if I were to purchase every one of them, I would have no money at all.  The solution for me is to keep a wish book.

Money is for food, clothing, shelter, and to help those in need. We must not be frivolous or wasteful. It is not okay for me to have things any time I want them. Yet, there is a time and a place for special gifts and treats. The best time for a present is a birthday, holiday, or on Mother's day.

My wish book is one of those blank, lined journals.  The cover is very pretty and reminds me of quiet, simple days. It makes me think of old country living and the beauty of homemaking. There is a beautiful farm house off in the distance, a lovely sunset, a large, carefully tended garden, and a homemade quilt on the clothesline. I think the cover is an ideal image for a book to write about simple things that I would like to have someday.

Here is how it works:

I write the date, the name of the item I would like, and then leave a space on the right for whenever I am able to have this wish fulfilled. I will include the date it happens as well.

The things I would like are very simple and inexpensive.  I will give you some examples:

  ----------------------------------------------

1.  "Little One, God Loves You" (Board book)

 I want to add books to our home library. I like to keep an ongoing assortment of sweet books that my grandchildren can read whenever they visit here. This book is so sweet and precious:







2.  "Peony Garden Journal" (notebook by Peter Pauper Press)

 I would like a lovely floral book to keep track of my garden.  I want to write out the dates for planting, the dates of the first harvest, and little notes on how the garden is doing.  The design on this notebook is calming and elegant.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3.  "Help for our Healing" (sermon by Dr. Charles Stanley, from In Touch Ministries, on DVD)

 I have a collection of sermons on both DVD and CD.  I have heard this sermon before and have taken notes. It is a good one that I would like to see again and again.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4.  "The Greatness of God" (sermon by Dr. Charles Stanley, from In Touch Ministries, on CD)

 This is an excellent sermon that I watched the other day. I am told it is not available on DVD. It is only offered on CD. I would love to listen to this one again and again. I am working on building up a large collection of sermons on both CD and DVD, here at our home library.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.  "Midnight Floral Journal" (notebook by Peter Pauper Press)

 I would like to add some extra beauty to my finances. I would use this stunning notebook for my budget. Normally I use a composition notebook, but in my effort to surround myself with gentle beauty, here at home, to bring cheer and happiness to my days, I would like this pretty book for my budgeting work.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.  "Peony Garden Desk Notes" (note pad with gift box by Peter Pauper Press)

Every time I go to make a grocery list, I use a small piece of paper. This floral box of notepaper is ideal for bringing pretty things to my desk with a good purpose. Once the box is empty I can refill it with scrap paper and continue to use it.


 

 

 

 

 

 ----------------------------------------------

This list of a variety of things will give you an idea of what I have in my wish book.  It is okay to want things. It is okay to receive a gift. But there must be waiting and patience and frugality in order to reach the essential goal of saving money. 

This year is a good year to avoid spending money as much as possible. Keeping a little wish book is a great tool to help us dream about little treasures that we might someday have. 

 

On the first page of my wish book, I will write the precious verse: 

 "Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." - Psalm 37:4

 

I will always strive to remember that if the Lord wanted me to have these things, he will find a way to provide. And if not, I will still be grateful and at peace. I will leave that with him and rest content.

 

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives

The beautiful testimony of the Mother of D.L. Moody - Poverty in the 1800's

Excellent advice from Colonial Days - To Earn and not to Spend

Peaceful, Old Fashioned Living - Retirement Planning for the Poor.

 

- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



"Gracious House Keeping: Advice, Encouragement, and Cleaning Help for the Christian Housewife."

Complete with Encouragement and Work Charts to cheer you along in your homemaking!

115 pages, paperback.

 




 

18 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a good idea to have a wish list book.
I have used a gardening journal for many years, just writing quick notes about plants that have done well, or not, dates of seed sowing etc. It has been very helpful to look back and compare the years.

Carol M said...

This is such a lovely idea. I am going to do this myself now! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

"Money is for food, clothing, shelter, and to help those in need." Thank you for always providing gentle reminders!

Sandi said...

"I will always strive to remember that if the Lord wanted me to have these things, he will find a way to provide. And if not, I will still be grateful and at peace."

Very wise.

I like Dr. Charles Stanley too. His teaching style is so calm and encouraging. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea. I think this would well for me because after having to wait to purchase something, I would probably have found that I would rather not spend the money on it after all!

Patty B said...

I agree with you that if the Lord wants me to have something or if I need something, He will find a way for me to have it. A couple examples: we needed a car after we hit a deer with ours. We were led to an ad about a "car that needed repairs" for $200! The repairs needed were quite minor and my husband is skilled at those things. (I guess one person's idea of "major repairs" is quite different from ours. This was a young person's car.) One winter I needed a new winter coat. A quick shopping trip told me that new coats were out of my budget range. A friend had one in her closet that didn't fit anymore and gave it to me when she was trying to downsize. Simple things, but God finds a way.
Your journal idea is nice. For sure, there are plenty of pretty things one could buy in this world. But we should be content with what the Lord gives to us. I am reminded of the hymn God Will Take Care of You.

Homemaker's Heart said...

What a great idea! I would like to borrow your idea. This year I have given up shopping on Amazon, and extended it to not shopping online at stores that don't have a brick-and-mortar store as well as their online site.
Since we live in a small mountain town, this is challenging, but doable.
This month I am learning how many little things I would purchase.
I LOVE a wish book. It reminds me of the Sears wish book I would poor over as a kid. I could look through my own wish book of things I already know I want.
Thank you for sharing.
Blessings to you.

Mama to 12, so far said...

This is the sweetest and best idea I have read about or heard about in such a long time. I now want to incorporate this myself. Thank you for sharing.

Linda said...

Such a lovely idea Mrs White. This year I have overhauled our budget. We are trying to be very frugal, as we need some repairs done to our roof. I normally just work on my computer and keep files on there, but I like the idea of writing things into a book. It would encourage me more to see the savings grow. Have a blessed week ~ Linda

Marilyn said...

My "wishbook" is in a plain notebook that I have adorned with lovely pictures on the cover. It is a great idea to have such a book. I have given up most online shopping except for things I would normally need in the drug store, etc. I don't get out much anymore. Only doctor, dentist, chiropractor, church and monthly to the pharmacy. Everything is within 5 miles of my home. Big adventure is to the Christian thrift store. That is just a few more miles.
Just want to say, you have a beautiful heart.

Debbie said...

What a great idea. Most of the time, when I see something I really want, if I would just wait a while, I lose interest. That's the beauty of a wish list, too. You can write it down, wait and see if it still appeals to you in a few weeks. If not, you saved yourself the money.

I do like having pretty notebooks to work in for budgeting or journaling. I buy the composition notebooks when they are only .50 cents or $1.00 and I use scrapbook paper to cover them. The one you chose for your budgeting is beautiful!

Thanks for sharing :)

Marsha Harrup said...

LOVE, LOVE, this idea. I praying that in HIS timing the LORD will provide all of these for you. Blessings upon blessings!

Deanna said...

Mrs. White, The cover of your WISH BOOK is so pretty it makes me smile. It is a lovely reminder of how beautiful some places are.
Hugs, d

Vee said...

A wishbook sounds like a fine idea. I'm pretty sure that many things I might write down would not be so tempting seeing them at a later date. Thus far, I haven't been near a store in over two weeks. I have been blessed by others doing my grocery shopping for me. The best way not to spend $ or be tempted is to stay away from the store, and Pinterest, and online shopping. 😏

You certainly deserve some retail therapy every now and then. Some little somethin' to brighten the day.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the truth that sometimes, dreaming about things we want is half -or most- of the fun. Anticipating, planning for new things, even little things - makes them so much more appreciated! And you're more likely to get exactly what works for you, rather than if you'd rushed and bought the first thing that might work that you ran across. Much less wasteful all around!

Amelia said...

The front of your sweet wishbook is so nice, I love the peaceful scene. It reminds me of days gone by when our daughters were little...For some reason it reminds me of that.

I enjoyed seeing your little wishes! I smiled on the children's book, I too try to keep a sweet collection of godly books for our littles when they come over.

I appreciate you! ~Amelia

JES said...

I was thinking on number 5, I think if you covered a composition book with pretty scrapbook paper or a collage of beautiful flower pictures from catalogs, etc., pasted on the cover of the book, it might make a beautiful journal for you for pennies.

Just a thought :)

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a lovely idea to have a wish book to record things, even small, that you would like. I have done this in the past, and have found happy to record finding things at little thrift stores, or someone gifts me. It seems the Lord delights in blessing us with little things too! I like your saying that money is for food, shelter, clothing and to help those in need! A great reminder when tempted to spend money on things that really aren't necessary! Blessings to you dear friend!