Friday, November 10, 2023

Homemaking During a Confinement

Library of Congress: Kitchen with a Quick Meal stove, 1930.


Some evenings, over the past few months, I receive a phone call from one of my daughters.  "You will have a sick child tomorrow," she tells me.  I ask a few questions about fevers and diet to gather information and prepare myself.  We have an agreement, she and I.  I will take any of her children who are sick at any time she needs me.  In this case, she may have an urgent meeting or an essential appointment.  She knows I will take the babies whether they are sick or not.  I am not concerned about germs or getting sick.*  It is as if these children were a part of my own household. I am here for them at any time of the day or night, regardless of the situation.

I had to prepare for one of these days recently.  After I received the notice from my daughter, I did a few things to get ready for the next morning.  I made a batch of homemade jello in case my patient's fever made it difficult for her to eat.  I went into the guest room and took the twin mattress off the frame.  I brought it into my own bedroom and placed it on the floor. (This would be our sick room.*)  My room is large enough for a play area, chairs, and a television set.  The patient would be very comfortable in a cozy bed of her own, in a place where we could all rest together, because any time I have one of the sick children, I am always given the baby to care for at the same time.  I am always delighted to have these grandchildren here and am happy to take care of them.

In this recent case, grand-girl had a fever for almost an entire week. Her mother took care of her for 4 days and then on the 5th day she had to do some errands.  Early in the morning, she brought me the baby and my 9 year old granddaughter.  We had such a nice restful day while I waited on her and cared for the baby.  I kept asking her questions,"Would you like a cool cloth for your forehead?" or "Can I get you something to drink?" or "Are you hungry for lunch yet?"   We all rested together as much as possible, while I did the work of homemaking and the duties of nursing a patient.

Last month, there were three sick children here all on one day.  They enjoyed the care they received at Grandmother's little hospital.  I am grateful for any time I get to spend with them.  Once the children are well and healthy again, they return to their normal routine and go back to visiting me on our regular schedule.  

If I am ever busy or need to go to the store, when one of these calls comes in, I rearrange my schedule, change an appointment, or put off my errands. The children will always come first.

Now there is a new sickness going on at our house.  Early this week, a member of my immediate household found out he has that dreaded, contagious sickness.  He has quarantined himself in the downstairs section of the house.  Groceries for the patient were dropped off within the first day.  I have rarely seen my husband in days, since this happened.  When he needs to talk to me, he knocks on the wall near the location of my upstairs bedroom.  This is a signal for me to go to the top of the stairs to see what he wants.  He will say, "Call me on the intercom." Then he quickly goes back to his recliner.  He has no idea how to use the intercom on our house phone.  This is why it is a longer process for him to reach me.  I use our remote phone and call the unit in the living room.  Then he will tell me how he is doing, what he might need at the store, and that he loves me.  He is very concerned about my well-being and does not want me to get sick.

I have been resting as much as possible to keep up my strength in case I get sick too. At this point I am only very tired.  But I will need to clean and keep things sanitary. I have work to do but will take many breaks. This morning, I need to bake some bread because I don't have enough to get through the day.  I will prepare the dough early and then set it to rise. It should not take very long since I get to rest between risings.  This is necessary work but will happen at a calm and steady pace.

Many of us are going through hard times, whether it is health troubles or financial needs.  These are struggles and obstacles that we all face at some point.  Yet through it all, we keep house, we take care of the family, we manage the paperwork and the money, and we focus on the Lord.

Yesterday, as I was driving home from grocery shopping, the snow was gently falling, creating a beautiful winter scene.  I was grateful for the beauty of the day, but I was very cold. The heat in my car does not work. (It stopped working at the end of last winter.)  I had forgotten how cold the car can be. But I knew I would be home soon. I would be positive through this difficult struggle of being uncomfortable.  In my heart I told myself, "In Heaven, there will be heat in my car."  What a wonderful place we are privileged to go after our life's trials and work are over - we will be comfortable and happy in Heaven.  Whenever things get rough for me, I will remind myself how perfect life will be for all of eternity in the presence and comfort of our dear Lord, forever and ever. 

Blessings

Mrs. White

* For advice on having a sick room and a safe way of taking care of patients at home, please see my post, "A Comforting Sick Room." (I also share my mother's example.)


From the Archives

What Many of Us Crave - An Ordinary Life at Home.

Help for when you feel like - Neglecting the Housework.

Something We All Need  - Peace Be Upon This House.


- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


Mrs. White's old fashioned cookbook focuses on serving meals and setting the table in a humble home.


"Serving in the Kitchen: Cookbook with Recipes, Advice, and Encouragement for the Christian Home"

152 pages, paperback









12 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Your post here today reminds me of how much I miss being there for my grandchildren when they are sick or my daughter is in need of a sitter for any reason. As grandparents, we will always drop everything in order to come to the rescue, won't we? Maybe, one day, we will live close to one another again.
Blessings, Mrs. White!

Elizabethd said...

So sorry to hear of your husband's illness and hope he will be well soon....and also that you dont get it.
Grandmothers are wonderful! I know how much I relied on my mother when she was alive.

bunw1125@gmail.com said...

When you are feeling very tired, take your blood pressure. Low blood pressure can cause you to feel very tired. Make sure you are drinking water too.
Take care..
Bun

Andrea G. said...

Mrs. White,

I hope your children fully appreciate you! I have four children and many times I have wished that I could count on extended family for help when illness strikes. Details aren’t important and I love my relations dearly, but I know not to expect much. Even more important than the physical help, is just knowing you have someone there to support you and that you’re not alone and isolated. Especially when you might already be worried and overwhelmed.

Even though I don’t have that support, I am very much inspired by how you serve your family and aspire to emulate your example. Thank you for your writings here. I don’t always comment but I always look forward to new posts.

I’m praying for health and strength for you and your loved ones!

Judy said...

Dear Mrs White. Thank you for sharing your confident (in Christ) calming, and refreshingly simple thoughts. I’m always edified by your posts. May the Lord Jesus, our great Healer, restore full health to your husband and protect the rest of your household.
May shalom rule and reign in your hearts.

Deanna said...

Thank you for sharing this post for us to read. You are a jewel. What a huge blessing you are! God bless you.
~d

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White, what a wonderful Mama and Nana you are :) and how peaceful it must be for your grand children to know they are coming to Nana's little hospital, to be with someone who loves them so much. You truly are a very special person. I pray the Lord will bring healing to your husband and guard your health too. Blessings ~ Linda

Debbie said...

Mrs. White, you are a great blessing to your children and grandchildren and your husband. I hope he recovers quickly and that you stay healthy. My car is just the opposite of yours...my a/c won't get cold :) We had the hottest summer we've ever had and I just kept telling my husband that winter would be here soon and I could handle the heat. We made it! :) Like I always say...new mercies are just around the corner (or new every morning) :) God is always good.

I hope you have a beautiful week and that your family rises healthy and whole.

God bless you :)

Billie Jo said...

Mrs. White,

Your care and love for your grandchildren, especially when they are sick, will serve as both a memory and an inspiration to them when they are older. Prayers for your husband as he recovers and that you stay healthy and cozy.

KatieL said...

Mrs. White:

You are such a blessing to your children in your role of loving nurse to your grands.

I had zero help from family when I raised by children (logistics, age prevented assistance.) It makes very happy to know that not all mothers had my struggles!

Amelia said...

Oh dear, for some reason I did not see this entry or your other blog on Ms. Connie H.

This is so beautiful, I just loved reading the scene here and what a loving grandmother you are. Just beautiful and an inspiration...I know when I hear now my little 4 year old grandsons...they say: Mimi? Oh my heart melts.

I appreciate you! ~Amelia

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

What a wonderful grandmother you are, Mrs White! Makes me think of my own dear grandmother who lived nearby and took such good care of her grandchildren. I hope your husband gets well soon and that you don't get sick.