Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Mistakes in Homemaking

Fresh baked cookies from this afternoon. 
 

Throughout my constant lessons in gardening, I am delighted when vegetables grow, when fruit is harvested, and when my flowers bloom.  Last year we planted some carnation seeds in pots, just to see what would happen. It was an inexpensive packet of seeds, but I wasn't sure if it would thrive or even grow in our region. Since carnations are my favorite flowers, I was hopeful.


It was not long before we saw green leaves developing. The plants did well in the pots, but we did not see any flowers.  We accidentally left the pots out all winter long and assumed they would not survive our harsh New England weather.  However, early one spring day, the leaves began to come back.  We thought we would wait and watch.  After a few weeks, buds began to appear. We did not remember what we had planted but hoped it was the carnations from the previous year.  

One day a sweet flower opened; then more and more began to appear. The flowers were red, white, and purple. These did not look like carnations, but I believe the stems look similar to carnations. These must be a certain variety that I am not familiar with.  They have lasted several days and more keep coming.  I noticed they are attracting some bees. This is good for our vegetable garden nearby. It is good when the bees are happy. 

Our flowers.

Each day when I look at these new flowers I think of how many times good things happen through my mistakes. Good things happen despite my flaws and shortcomings.

I have enjoyed walking all over the property and visiting the strawberry garden, the blueberry bushes, and all the beautiful flowers. One of my favorite spots on the grounds is where the tea roses bloom.

Our red tea roses.

It is such a peaceful part of the property to see a view of the landscape near these beautiful roses.

When I finish my walk, I love to be inside, tidying the house, seeing to the kitchen, and enjoying the daily work of keeping house and taking care of the family.  It is sometimes tiring when I have appointments and errands that take me away from home. But we make the best of this necessary work and are extra grateful when we return home again. 

Today, after doing a great many errands I was happy to get back into my kitchen.  I mixed up a batter of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Once the first batch went into the oven, I started walking around the house, tidying up, and then chatting and visiting with the family. It was then I realized I forgot to set the timer on the oven. Somehow, I was able to get to the cookies in time. To my relief, all was well in the kitchen.  

This reminded me of how many mistakes I am often making in homemaking and life in general. It amazes me when things turn out well in the end, just as they should!  How wonderful it will be when we get to Heaven, after stumbling and getting distracted. We are so very blessed to be the children of God. He will welcome us to our Heavenly home, telling us we did well, yet we know it is only because of His grace, and for His glory!

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives - 

Beautiful Living - Feminine Grace.

A Blessing - The Light in a Messy House.

Finding happiness at Home - Days without Spending Money.

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


For happiness and cheer in the kitchen:

Mrs. White's old fashioned cookbook focuses on serving meals and setting the table in a humble home.


"Serving in the Kitchen: Cookbook with Recipes, Advice, and Encouragement for the Christian Home"

152 pages, paperback






13 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

How I love those flowers, Mrs. White! And yes, we all make mistakes, but we can always be grateful for our loving Father who loves and forgives us when we turn to Him. May He bless you today and every day!

Darla Mae said...

I think your mystery flower looks like a Campion flower, it's similar. I'm glad you had a lovely mystery to greet you. I love carnations, too, such a sweet flower. Your words were lovely to read, also today. Just what I needed to hear. Thank you~

Anonymous said...

Mrs. White, I am so very happy your carnations made it through the freezing cold winter in Vermont.

Patty B said...

Mrs White, the problem with your carnation growing wasn't necessarily your fault. I believe it was the seeds. I've been a gardener for almost 50 years, and I also love to grow carnations. For the past 13 years I've grown them in my greenhouse. Before I got my greenhouse I tried growing them in my garden. I have tried just about every company's seeds. Some seeds have been good and some not so good. This year I bought the exact same packet of Ferry Morse seeds that you did. I carefully started plants from seeds and ended up with 50 nice plants. Out of the 50 plants I have 3 carnations growing. Over the years I've had bad luck with Ferry Morse carnation seeds. Some of this company's seeds are OK like for beans, squash or cucumbers, but I have also had poor results with their seeds on herbs and various other flowers. . I bought a packet of Ferry Morse carnation seeds this year, too, because it was a sale price and I thought "Well I'll give them another try". But I had poor results. Carnations are a type of dianthus, but all dianthus are not carnations. I think this seed company has problems with their quality control. The best carnations I ever grew were from John Scheeper's seeds. The seeds were not cheap - about 5 dollars a packet - but they were gorgeous flower shop quality flowers. From the looks of your photo you got a variety of dianthus that is not a true Chaubaud carnation. But still very pretty! I have often gotten the same results. Carnations can be tricky to grow and good seeds are a must.

Elizabethd said...

They are Carnations. You can take cutting from a piece of the stem, just leave it in water and the roots should grow.

Wanda said...

Enjoyed your post, Mrs. White, and also enjoyed the comments made regarding your flowers. Very informative. Have a great day, and I would enjoy one of your cookies.

Amelia said...

Mrs. White, I know I've been away, my mom with dementia and other things keep me busy and unfortunately I've had to spend less and less time online.

I am requesting prayer. I just lost my precious husband *very* suddenly on the morning of the sixth, a little over a week ago. We are all devastated.

Judy said...

Hello Mrs. White. Thank you for another gentle and encouraging post. A grateful heart is so helpful daily! May the Lord continue to make your garden flourish. I'd like to express my deep sympathy to Amelia, one of your readers who left a comment, in the death of her husband. I tried to email her via her blog, but no address came up. I lost my husband suddenly 9 years ago. My heart and my prayers go out to you Amelia...the Lord Jesus will meet you at every turn where grace and comfort are needed...one day at a time. I can attest to His faithfulness. Sincerely, Judy Harris

Tiaret said...

Dear Amelia, I am praying for you and your loss. God bless you.

Billie Jo said...

Hello, Mrs. White. Thank you for sharing your days here with us. I love knowing that you are there doing the same thing I am here. That is, living our vocation as wives and mothers, keeping house and loving our families. In such a loud, busy world, I appreciate you gentle and calm words and guidance. Have a cozy weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your pretty flowers are, as Patty B said, a Dianthus, which is the Carnation family name. What you have looks very much like what I call "Pinks". Mine live through the winter too, and they smell sweet.

MaryB

AAC14 said...

Dear Amelia,
I am so, so sorry for the loss of your husband. I will be praying for you and your family, and I pray that God is keeping you all in the palm of His hand. I have enjoyed your Forest Cathedral blog for years, although I don't think I've ever left a comment on it.
In Christ,
Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Amelia, I am praying for you and your family.
Jo