Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Lovely Day for Cleaning

Elegant Living Room
An Example of an Elegant, Clean Living Room



I had no plans for today and didn't know what I wanted to do. Can you imagine having a day off in the middle of the week?

The warmth of the morning and the beautiful sunshine streaming through my windows made me realize it would be lovely to clean!

I have been inspired lately by visiting a library in town. It is a historic building with amazing  architectural detail. Large, stately, antique furniture is in every room. There are also paintings and drawings on the walls, which gives one a history lesson of the area. It is mesmerizing.  Hmmm... Then I thought, "I wonder if I can do something similar to my house?"  Well, my parlour already looks like that. But now to work on some of the other rooms!

My cleaning for today will be partially practical and partially creative.  I shall make a long list of cleaning adventures - like vacuuming the staircase and polishing banisters. I will wash the sliding glass doors and throw out some clutter. But to make it even more exciting, I will note how long it took me to complete each item. This because I only want to work for the morning. I will only clean for 2 hours and then be free for the rest of the day.

This timed list will keep me motivated to work very fast, just for the challenge of it. I will also be able to refer to this list later when I have spare minutes and want to clean something.

Perhaps a child will walk by and beg to do one of my chores from the list. (gentle smiles) Because I make it look like such fun!

When I am finished, perhaps my home won't look exactly like that historic library, but it will be charming and lovely enough for me!

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Looking back - The Charm of the Old Days.

Cheering up when Money is Scarce - Despairing over the Household Allowance.

Remembering my years as a Maid - The Maid was Here!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a free day also. I am going to clean something today and re-organize a drawer or two:) It is a beautiful day here in Kansas. Thank you for your writings.
Becky

Lisa said...

Wow, is that your living room that is pictured? It is truly lovely. It makes me want to sit down in front of one of the windows and gaze out in happiness. Just lovely. Thank you for sharing!

Emily Fay said...

That photo is beautiful! I think when a home is pleasant and organized (not perfect!) God can certainly be there in our midst! This was a wonderful post!