Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Basics of Lovely Housekeeping

A Maid Watering Flowers, by Franck Antoine Bail, 1800's.

 

Some days it doesn't take very long to tidy up my house.  The kitchen is quickly cleaned, the parlour is neat, the laundry is in the machine and the floors are swept.   Once everything is in order, I sometimes wonder, "Have I done enough?"   or  "Is it possible that I can go do some other pleasant thing?"  Those are the lovely moments of doing basic housekeeping.

Yesterday, I was reading from Great Expectations.  One of my girls found a beautiful hardcover copy of this at Marshalls the last time we were in the city.  I was delighted when she bought it for me.   The rich literary wit and historical insights are amazing.   I found myself taking the book into other rooms in the house to share interesting passages with the children.  Next, I took an early afternoon rest by watching an old Frank Sinatra movie.   But one can only take so much of worldly amusements, so I turned on the gospel music and did some more housework.

Even though the day was slow paced and pleasant, I was still busy with the grandbaby, my teenagers and errands.  The housework seemed to take care of itself, in very quick bursts of cleaning.  I had much leisure time and was delighted.

When a child gets ready to do some home chore, he is often overwhelmed. He may procrastinate and take hours on a job that really only takes minutes.  This is what makes housework seem tedious, boring and painful.    When we mothers go in with a cheerful attitude and a spring in our step, we can make very basic housework look delightful.  We can accomplish a lot in a short time and then be free for other things.

One of my girls is like that.  She will go into a room, tidy up a mess in minutes and come back like she didn't exert herself in any way.  The bright happy look in her eyes and the pleasant proud smile delight our home.    She can make the house look so pretty with very little effort.

If we just realized that basic housework is only sweeping, cooking, washing, laundry and other such minor tasks, we would enjoy much more time of looking about the room, sighing content and sitting to rest in a happy, clean home.

Truly, Housekeeping is a lovely occupation.

Blessings
Mrs. White

 

From the Archives -

When Things are Going Wrong - Forgotten Kindness in Marriage.

Keep it Precious - The Simplicity of Old Fashioned Homemaking.

Please Be One of These! - The Mother Who Isn't Busy.



- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -

 

 


  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, "Homemaking For Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 307 pages. 




8 comments:

Housewife59 said...

Thank you for this excellent post, Mrs White. I love 'sighing content and sitting to rest in a happy,clean home' This is just how I've been looking at Housekeeping recently, and I'm more peaceful and joyful because of it.
Budgeteer
Heartforhome-making.blogspot.co.uk

welcometomyfrontporch said...

I have been a homemaker for 10 years now ans feel like in the past month, I've kept the basics so it is easier. Plus, my husband and I enjoy the ministry of hospitality so with people always in our home, it stays pretty tidy. My kids also have chores that help. So I'm now in a routine and love it! Great post!

LeAnn said...

I love your thoughts on housekeeping. I do know that there is a certain feeling of contentment when your home is in order.
Blessings!

Ellen, the Bluestocking Belle said...

I must admit that I am a mediocre housekeeper at best. There are always more interesting things to do! But I found this post to be a gentle nudge. Perhaps my attitude has been wrong for years. Instead of looking at homekeeping as a necessary drudgery, perhaps, just perhaps, there is a joy there that I've been missing all along. Thank you for these words.

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

Thank you for the excellent post. I've always struggled in this area although it has become easier with time. It also helps that my oldest children are now 16 and 14 years old and able to help keep the home in order.

Dianna said...

Thank you for this lovely post. I read it on Saturday and it has been inspiring me ever since.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Hello Mrs. White,
This post inspired me this afternoon. Now, I must get busy and do one of those "very quick bursts of cleaning." I love that phrase. Do you mind if I borrow it for my blog?

Blessings to you, may God strengthen you and cause every cell in your body to function in the precise way He designed it to function.

Laura Lane
Harvest Lane Cottage

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Time for another quick burst of cleaning!